234 MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. for all the world.”1 It was the fate of this old mansion of the Earls of Angus to be linked at its close in the misfortunes of a Douglas. It formed during last century the banking-house of Douglas, Heron, & Company, whose failure spread dismay and suffering through a widely-scattered circle, involving both high and low in its ruin. The Chapel of Ease in New Street, erected in 1794, now partly occupies the site. Several other interesting relics of the olden time were destroyed to make way for this ungainly ecclesiastical edifice. One of these appears from the titles to have been the residence of Henry Kinloch, a wealthy burgess of the Canongate, to whose hospitable care the French ambassador was consigned by Queen Mary in 1565. An old diarist of the period relates, that ‘‘ Vpoun Monunday the ferd day of Februar, the seir of God foirsaid, thair come ane ambassatour out of the realm of France, callit Monsieur Rambollat, with xxxvj horse in tryne, gentilmen, throw Ingland, to Halyrudhous, quhair the King and Queenis Majesties wes for the tyme, accumpanyit with thair nobillis. And incontinent efter his lychting the said ambassatour gat presens of thair graces, and thairefter depairtit to Henrie Kynloches lugeing in the Cannogait besyid Edinburgh.” A few days afterwards, ‘( The Kingis Majestie [Lord Darnley], accumpanyit with his nobillis in Halyrudhous, ressavit the ordour of knychtheid of the cokill fra the said Rambollat, with great magniilcence. And the samin nycht at evin, our soueranis maid ane banket to the ambassatour foirsaid, in the auld chappell of Halyrudhous, quhilk wes reapparrellit with fyne tapestrie, and hung m a p s - centlie, the said lordis maid the maskery efter supper in ane honrable manner. And vpoun the ellevint day of the said moneth, the King and Quene in lyik manner bankettit the samin ambassatour ; and at evin our soueranis maid the maskrie and mumschance, in the quhilk the Queenis grace, and all her maries and ladies wer all cledin men’s apperrell; and everie ane of thame presentit ane quhingar, bravelie and maist artiticiallie made and embroiderit with gold, to the said ambassatour and his gentlemen.” * On the following day the King and Queen were entertained, along with the ambassador and his suite, at a splendid banquet provided for them in the Castle by the Earl of Mar ; and on the second day thereafter, Monsieur Rambollat bade adieu to the Court of Holyrood. It is to be regretted that an accurate description cannot now be obtained of the burgher mansion which was deemed a fitting residence for one whom the Queen delighted to honour, and for whose entertainment such unwonted masquerades were enacted. It was probably quite as homelya dwelling as those of the same period that still remain in the neighbourhood. The sole memorial of it that now remains is the name of the alley running between the two ancient front lands previously described, through which the ambassador and his noble visitors must have passed, and which is still called Kinloch’s Close after their burgher host. New Street, which is itself a comparatively recent feature of the old burgh, is a curious sample of a fashionable modern improvement, prior to the bold scheme of the New Town. It still presents the aristocratic feature of a series of detached and somewhat elegant mansions. Its last century occupants were Lord Kames-whose house is at the head of the street on the east side-Lord Hailes, Sir Philip and Lady Betty Anstruther, and Dr Hume of Godscroft’s History of the Douglases, p. 432. ’ Diurnal of Occurrenta, pp. 86, 87. There appears, indeed (Maitlaud, p. 149), to have been another Kinloch‘s lod,&g near the palace, but the correapondenoe of name and data Beems to prove the above to be the one referred to.
THE CANONGA TE AND ABBEY SANCTUAR Y. 285 Young, a celebrated physician of the period, with others of wealth and influence, among whom may be mentioned Miss Jean Ramsay, a daughter of the poet, who lived there till a very advanced age, in the second house below the chapel. A lofty stone tenement on the south side of the main street, to the east of Gillon’s Close, was erected by Charles, fourth Earl of Traquair, and formed the residence of his twin daughters, Lady Barbara and Lady Margaret Stewart. They both died there at a very advanced age-Lady Margaret in 1791, and her sister in 1794. They must have been born very early in the eighteenth century, as Dr Archibald Pitcairn, who died in 1713, made them the subject of some elegant Latin verses. They were till lately remembered as two kindly, but very precise old ladies, the amusement and main business of whose lives consisted in dressing and nursing a family of little dolls-a recreation by no means unusual among the venerable spinsters of former days. The date over the main doorway of the building is 1700. A little farther to the eastward, and almost directly opposite the head of New Street, is the Playhouse Close, within the narrow alley of which the stage was established in 1747, on such a footing as was then deemed not only satisfactory but highly creditable to the northern capital, where the drama had skulked about from place to place ever since its denouncement by the early reformers, finding even the patrosage of royalty, and the favour of the vice-regal Court of Holyrood, hardly sufficient to protect it from ignominious expulsion. The history of the Scottish drama is ohe of very fitful add stinted encouragement, and of correspondingly meagre results. The first approach to regular dramatic composition, after the period when religious mysteries and moralities were enacted under the sanction of the Church,’ was Sir David Lindsay’s ‘‘ Pksant Satyre of the Three Estaitis ; ” and this so effectually aided the work of the Reformers, under whose care the stage was immediately placed, that it may be styled the first and last effort of dramatic genius in Scotland, almost to our own day. It was “ playit besyde Edinburgh in 1544, in presence of the Quene Regent,” as is mentioned by Henry Charteris, the bookseller, who sat patiently for nine hours on the bank at Greenside to witness the play. It so far surpasses any effort of contemporary English dramatists, that it renders the barrenness of the Scottish muse in this department afterwards the more apparent. Birrell notes on the 17th January 1568 :-“ A play made by Robert Semple, and played before the Regent [Murray] and divers uthers of the nobilitie.” This has been afinied, though seemingly on very imperfect evidence, to have been Philotus, a comedy printed at Edinburgh by Robert Charteris in 1603, the author of which is not named. It exhibits, both in plan and execution, a much nearer approach to the modern drama than Sir David Lindsay’s Satire, and is altogether a work of great merit. In the same year there issued from the Edinburgh press, Darius, a tragedy written by ‘‘ that most excellent spirit and earliest gem of l A few extracts from the Treasurers’ accounts will afford a hint of the dawn of theatrical amusements at the Scottish court in the reign of James IF., January 1, 1503 :-“Item, ye samyn nycht to ye gyearis that playit to ye King, 41. 4s. Feb. 18.-To ye QUENEO F YE CANONGAIT14,s .” Thin character repeatedly occurs in the accounts, and seems to have been B favourite masker. “1504, Jan. 1.-Tu Hog the tale-tellar, 14s. Jan. 3.-Yat samyn day to Thos. Boauell and Pate Sinclair to by yaim daunsing gere, 28s. Yat samyne nycht to ye GYSARISO F YE TOUNE OB EDINBUBG8E f,r . cr. [French crowns.] Junel0.-Payit to Jamea Dog that halaid doune for girse one Corpus Christi day, at the play to the Kingis and Quenis chamerig 3s. 4d.” bcc. Feb. &-To ye mene that brocht in ye Morice Dance, and to ye menstralis in Strevelin, 42s. Pat day to Yaister Johne to by beltis for ye Yorise Danae, 28s.