264 MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH, in an advertisement of the year 1798, as ‘‘ the Auld Cameronian Meeting-house.” Tradition pointed out the upper flat of the same tenement as having been the’lodging of ‘.i Nicol Muschett of ill memorie,” while a student at college, though it appears, from the evidence on his trial, that his final residence was in Dickson’s Close. This ancient tenement, which was latterly regarded with interest, as bearing the oldest date on any p‘rivate building in Edinburgh, excepting that already described in Blyth’s Close, has been recently entirely demolished, and replaced by a plain unpretending erection.‘ But we have since discovered a stone in the possession of James Gibson Craig, Esq., bearing the much earlier date of 1506, which was removed from a house taken down some years since, near the foot of this same wynd, on the opposite side. The stone appears to have formed the top of a dormer window, being triangular in shape, and surmounted by an unusually large crescent. The date is cut partly in Arabic and partly in Roman numerals, thus :-15VI. The site of this ancient fabric is now a ruinous waste, rendering it impossible to recover any traces of its proprietors, either in early or later times. Immediately adjoining the former building, on the west side of the wynd, is the venerable mansion of the Earls of Morton, an ancient timber-fionted land, already referred to in the description of Brown’s Close, Castlehill,’ with its fine Gothic doorway, and sculptured tympanum, containing a coronet supported by unicorns. Such portions of the stone front as remain exposed, exhibit the feature, which occurs so frequently in buildings of an early date, of moulded windows originally divided by stone mullions. The desolate and deserted aspect of the vice-regal residence, comports with the degraded state of this once patrician locality, now ‘‘ fallen on evil days and evil tongues.’’ It has long been entirely shut up, defying as completely dl attempts at investigating its interior, as when Queen’s m n and King’s men were fighting in the High Street, and Kirkaldy of Grange was bent on driving the Regent and all his followers from the town. The evidence of this mansion having been occupied by the Regent Morton is not complete, though it is undoubtedly of an earlier date, and appears to have been possessed by. his immediate ancestors. The earliest title which we have 6een is a disposition by Archibald Douglaa, younger of Whittinghame, one of the senators of the College of Justice, in which it is described as “that tenement which was some time the Earl of Mortoun’s.’’ From this it may be inferred to have been the residence of his direct ancestor, John, second Earl of Morton, who sat in the Parliament of James IV. in 1504,’ and whose grandson, William Douglas of Whittinghame was created a senator of the College of Justice in 1575. He was a contemporary of his kins- . The ancient tenement at the head of Monteith’s Close bore the date 1562, with an inscription over the doorway Ante, p. 138. of a remarkably fine inner turnpike, but it waa demolished several years before the one in Blackfriars’ Wynd. a Douglae’a Peerage, vol. ii. p. 269.