26 MEMORIALS OF EDlNBURGH. expenses of the building, preserve a valuable record of its progress and character; no expense seems to have been spared to render it a fitting residence for the future Queen. Though some idea of the homely fashion of building still common, may be inferred from an allusion of Dunbar, in his poem of the “ Warld‘s Instabilitie : ”- “Qreit Abbais grayth I nil1 to gather, Bot ane Kirk scant coverit with hclder ! ” James IV. was not only an eminent encourager of literature, but by fame reputed both a poet and musician, though nothing survives from his pen but the metrical order to his treasurer, in reply to “The Petition of the Grey Horse, Auld Dunbar;” but whatever may have been the value of his own productions, his taste is abundantly proved by the eminent men he drew around him. Gawin Douglas undoubtedly owed his fkvour at court, as well as the friendship and patronage of the Queen, and the partiality of Leo X. at a later period, to his learning and talents,, when through their good offices, he obtained, against the most violent opposition, his appointment to the bishopric of Dunkeld in 1516. Kennedy, too, seems to have been tt constant attendant at court, while Dunbar was on the most intimate footing with his royal master, and employed by him on the most confidential missions to foreign courts. In 1501, he visited England with the ambassadors sent to conclude the negotiations for the King’s marriage, and to witness the ceremony of affiancing the Princess Margaret in January following ; and atclength, on the 7th of August 1503, the Queen, who had attained the mature age of fourteen years, made her public eutrance into Edinburgh, amid every demonstration of national rejoicing. A most minute account of her reception has been preserved by John Young, Somerset Herald, her attendant, and an eye-witness of the whole; which exhibits, in an interesting light, the wealth and refinement of the Scottish capital at this period.’ The King met his fair bride at the castle of Dalkeith, where she was hospitably entertained by the Earl of Morton, and having greeted her with knightly courtesy, and passed the day in her company, he returned to hys bed at Edinborg, varey well countent of so fayr meetyng.” The Queen was attended on her journey by the Archbishop of York, the Bishop of Durham, the Earl of Surrey, and a numerous and noble retinue ; and was received, on her near approach to Edinburgh, by the King richly apparelled in cloth of gold, the Earl of Bothwell bearing the sword of state before him, and attended by the principal nobility of the c o ~ r t . ~Th e King, coming down from his own horse, (‘k yssed her in her litre, and mounting on the pallefray of the Qwene, and the said Qwene behind hym, so rode thorow the towne of Edenburgh.” On their way, they were entertained with an opposite scene of romantic chivalry-a knight-errant rescuing his dietressed ladye love from the hands of her ravisher. The royal party were met at the entry to the town by the Grey Friars-whose monastery, in the Grassmarket, they had to pass-bearing in- procession their most valued relics, which were presented to the royal pair to kiss ; and thereafter they were stayed at an embattled barrier, erected for the occasion, at the windows of which appeared “ angells synging joyously for the comynge of so noble a ladye,” while another angel presented to her the keys of the city. .I Dunbar’s Memoira D. Laing. 1834. ’ Leland’s Collectanea, vol. iv. p. 287-300. 8 Ibicl, 287.
YAMES IV. TO THE BATTLE OF FLODDEN. 27 Within the gate, the houses were gaily decorated, the windows being hung with tapestry, and filled with “lordes, ladyes, gentylwomen and gentylmen ; and in the churches of the towne, bells rang for myrthe.” Here they were received by the chapter and prebendaries of St Gilea’s Church in their richest vestments, and bearing the arm of their patron saint, which they presented to their Majesties to kiss ; while the good city vied with the ecclesiastics in testifying their joy by pageants and quaint mysteries, suited to the auspicious occasion. Nigh to the cross, at which a fountain flowed with wine, whereof all might drink,’ they were received by Paris and the rival goddesses, “with Mercure that gaffe him the apylle of gold for to gyffe to the most fayre of the thre.” Further on was the salutation of the Angel Gabriel to the Virgin ; while on another gate, probably the Netherbow, appeared the four virtues-Justice, treading Nero under her feet; Force, bearing a pillar, and beneath her Holofernes, all armed ; Temperance, holding a horse’s bit, and treading on Epicurus , and Prudence, triumphing over Sardanapalus ! while the tabrets played merrily as the royal prdcession passed through, and ao proceeded to the Abbey. There they were received by the Archbishop of St Andrews, accompanied by a numerous retinue of bishops, abbots, and other ecclesiastics, in their official robes, and conducted to the high altar, at which they knelt, while the (‘ Te Dam” was sung, and then passed through the cloisters into the Palace. In the great chamber (the hangings of which represented the history of Troy, and the windows filled with the arms of Scotland and England, and other heraldic devices, in coloured glass), were many ladies of great name and nobly arrayed ; and the King letting go the Queen, till she had kissed all the ladies, the Bishop of Moray acted as Master of the Ceremonies, naming each as she saluted her :-“ After she had kyssed them all, the Kyng kyssed her for her labour, and so took her again with low cortesay and bare hed, and brought hyr to hyr charmer, and kyssed her agayn, and so took his leve right humble ! ” ‘‘ The eighth day of the said month, every, man apointed himself richly for the marriage, the ladies noblyaparelled, some in gowns of cloth of gold, others of crimson, velvet, and black; others of satin, tynsell, and damask, and of chamlet of many colours; hoods, chains, and collars upon their necks. . . . . . The Kyng sat in a chape of cramsyn velvet, the pannells of that sam gylte, under hys cloth of astat of blew velvet fygured of gold; ” with the Archbishop of York at his right hand, and the Earl of Surrey on his left; while the Scottish bishops and nobles led the Queen frold her chamber, “crowned with a varey ryche crowne of gold, garnished with pierry and perles, to the high altar, where the marriage was solemnised by the Archbishop of Glasgow, amid the sound of trumpets and the acclamation of the noble company.” At the dinner which followed, the Queen was served at the first course with ‘‘ a wyld borres hed gylt, within a fayr platter,” followed by sundry other equally queenly dishes. The chamber was adorned with hangl Lelaod’e Collectan- vol. iv. p. 289. VIoNmm-Ancient padlock, dug up in Greytiara’ Churchyard, 1841.