Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Bookshelf

Search

Index for “france”

Restalrig. ] THE MARIONVILLE TRAGEDY. 141
lution, and brought him to the ground by a mortal
wound. As usual on such occasions, Consternation
and distress reigned supreme j the passionate
Macrae was sincerely afflicted, and it was with
difficulty that Sir William Maxwell could prevail
A very unfavourable view was taken of Macrae?s
conduct. It was alleged that for some time before
the duel he was wont to practise at a barber?s block
in the garden at Marionville, and that he had
pistols of a peculiar and very deadly character;
CRAIGANTINNIE HOUSE.
upon him to quit the field. Sir George lingered
for two days, when he expired.
Macrae?s days of pleasure at Marionville were
ended for ever. He fled to France, and for a
time took up his residence at the H8tel de la
Dauphine, in Pans. The event created a great
sensation in Edinburgh society. Macrae left behind
him a son and daughter. As Sir George Ramsay
was childless, the baronetcy went to his brother
William
both of which were vulgar rumours, as he was
without such weapons, and those used in the duel
were a clumsy old brass-mounted pair that belonged
to Captain Amory, who bore testimony that Macrae,
as they journeyed together to the land of exile,
never ceased to bewail the fate of his friend, and
that he took so obstinate a view of the valet?s
case.
Macrae and Amory reached France ; a summons
was issued for the trial of the former, but as he ... pleasure at Marionville were ended for ever. He fled to France , and for a time took up his residence at the ...

Book 5  p. 141
(Score 1.93)

......

Book 9  p. 243
(Score 1.77)

I00 QUEENSFERRY TO MUSSELBURGH.
one called the Block House, and it was here that the fiercest assaults and
heaviest carnage then took place. In vain did the besiegers endeavour to
force an entrance. Daring deeds of noblest valour were then performed;
greatest efforts of loftiest courage, both individually and collectively, were
there put forth j but to no purpose. Mary and her French soldiers remained
safe within the strong arms of that impregnable rampart, and the reformers
had only the sad mortification of seeing their best and their brightest fall by
the hands of foreign mercenaries, comparatively secure behind its massive
strength.
' The flankers then, in murdering holes that lay,
Went off and slew, God knows, stout men enow ;
The harquebuse afore had made foul playe,
But it behoved our men for to go throwe,
And so men sought their deaths, they knew not how.
From such a sight, swate God, my friends defend,
For out of paine did dyvers find theyr end,'
Hardly a vestige of these fortifications are now visible, although, in making
excavations, evident traces of the former- military character of. the town are
occasionally found. Perhaps we should add that the site of the citadel is
still preserved by a place of that name adjacent to, and principally occupied
by, the North Leith Station of the North British Railway, with the principal
entrance thereto, an arched way of great strength, with a little bit of the wall
attached.
Time rolls on, bringing with him in his irresistible march his own great
changes. The queen-mother dies, and Mary, who by this time is a widow,
. has come over from that beautiful country she loved so well,' to take the
reins of government into her own hands. The day on which she anived
seems to have been unexceptionally dull and heavy. Knox, in describing it,
1 'Adieu, plaisant pays de France,
0 ma patrie I
La plus chCrie
Qui as nourri ma jeune enfance?
Adieu, France 1 Adieu, mes beaux jours,
La nef qui de joint mes amours
Na ey de moi qui la mortie
Une parte te resti ; elle est la tienne
Je la tie ton amitie,
Pour que de I'autre il la souvienne.'
These beautiful lines were written by Mary on leaving France, and show how dearly she
loved the land she was parting from-for ever 1 ... Knox, in describing it, 1 'Adieu, plaisant pays de France , 0 ma patrie I La plus chCrie Qui as nourri ma ...

Book 11  p. 153
(Score 1.74)

......

Book 9  p. 267
(Score 1.72)

OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Corstrophinc
- ~- I
CRAIGCROOK IN THE PRESENT DAY.
than doubled all the specie circulating in France,
when it was hoarded up, or sent out of the country.
Thus severe edicts were published, threatening with
dire punishment all who were in possession of Azo
of specie-edicts that increased the embarrassments
of the nation. Cash payments were stopped at the
bank, and its notes were declared to be of no value
after the 1st November, 1720. Law?s influence was
lost, his life in danger from hordes of beggared and
infuriated people. He fled from the scenes of his
splendour and disgrace, and after wandering through
various countries, died in poverty at Venice on the
zist of March, 1729. Protected by the Duchess of
Bourbon, William, a brother of the luckless comptroller,
born in Lauriston Castle, became in time a
Mardchal de Camp in France, where his descendants
have acquitted themselves with honour in
many departments of the State.
C H A P T E R XI.
CORSTORPHINE.
hrstorphine-Suppd Origin of the Name-The Hill-James VI. hunting there-The Cross-The Spa-The Dicks of Braid and Corstorphine--?
Corstorpliine Cream?-Convalt.scent House-A Wraith-The Original Chapel-The Collegiate Church-Its Provosts-Its Old
Tombs-The Castle and Loch of Corstorphine-The Forrester Family.
CORSTORPHINE, with its hill, village, and ancient
church, is one of the most interesting districts of
Edinburgh, to which it is now nearly joined by lines
of villas and gas lamps. Anciently it was called
Crosstorphyn, and the name has proved a puzzle to
antiquarians, who have had sonie strange theories
on the subject of its origin.
By some it is thought to have obtained its name
from the circumstance of a golden cross-Croix
d?orjn-having been presented to the church by
a French noble, and hence Corstorphine; and
an obscure tradition of some such cross did once
exist. According to others, the name signified
?? the milk-house under the hill,?? a wild idea in ... PRESENT DAY. than doubled all the specie circulating in France , when it was hoarded up, or sent out of the ...

Book 5  p. 112
(Score 1.64)

......

Book 10  p. 65
(Score 1.64)

76 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
plantation, which added materially to the shelter and fertility of the land, as
well as to the amenity of the place.
Catherine Home was married to a near Berwickshire neighbour, Robert
Johnston, Esq. of Hilton, then a captain in the 39th Regiment of Infantry, who
served in Gibraltar during the noted siege, and afterwards, with much credit,
during the last war with France, as Lieut.-Colonel of the Berwickshire Light
Dragoons-a well-disciplined, provincial corps, raised towards our defence against
French invasion and Irish insurrection. Of this marriage there survived two
daughters, Margaret and Catherine Johnston. An elder daughter, Agnes, was
married to the Rev. Alexander Scott, a cadet of the distinguished house of Scott
of Harden, and rector of Egemont, and then of Bowtel, in Cumberland. She
died, leaving issue two sons, Francis, a Lieutenant in the royal navy, and the
Rev. Robert Scott, fellow of one of the Colleges, Cambridge.
Agnes Home was of a more delicate constitution than her sister, and died at
her brother David's house in Edinburgh, unmarried, on 9th March 1808.
No. CXCVI.
MR. WILLIAM GRINLY,
BROKER AND AUCTIONEER.
THE Royal Leith Volunteers, of which corps this gentleman was Quartermaster,
were embodied in 17 9 5, and received their colours on the 26th September of that
year. The regiment was drawn up on the Links-a detachment of the Royal
Edinburgh Volunteers being present to keep the ground-when shortly after
one o'clock the Lord-Lieutenant, attended by some of the Deputy-Lieutenants,
arrived on the field, and presented the colours to Captain Bruce,' the Commandant,
who delivered them to two ensigns. The ceremony concluded with a
prayer by the chaplain, the Rev. Mr. Macknight.
Mr. Grinly was originally a merchant and shipowner at Borrowstounness,
the place of his nativity, where his father and brothers were respectable shipmasters.
In early life he had frequently gone supercargo to Holland, France,
Spain, Russia, and America, and was no stranger to the vicissitudes of a seafaring
life, having been twice captured by privateers, and as often shipwrecked.
The Isabella, a fine new ship, homeward bound, with a,valuable cargo, was one
of the vessels taken by the enemy. The ship's company, after being robbed,
were put on shore, and Mr. Grinly was stripped of everything but his watch.
One of the cases of shipwreck occurred in a storm off the coast of France, when
the crew narrowly escaped with their lives, and the ship and cargo were totally
Brother of the late Mr. Bivce of Kennett, whose father, Loid Kennett, waa one of the Senators
of the College of Justice. ... afterwards, with much credit, during the last war with France , as Lieut.-Colonel of the Berwickshire ...

Book 9  p. 100
(Score 1.61)

......

Book 9  p. 333
(Score 1.6)

......

Book 9  p. 86
(Score 1.49)

76 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. Holyrood.
~ ~~ ~~ ~
period, and in 1736- one of unusual brilliance
was given in January, the Hon. Charles Hope
(afterwards Muster Master-General for Scotland)
being king, and the Hon. Lady Helen Hope
queen. In the Gallery of the Kings a table was
covered with 300 dishes en ambigzr, at which sat
150 ladies at a time . . . . illuminated with 400
wax candles. ?!The plan laid out by the council
of the Company was exactly followed with the
their dark days had found refuge at St. Germains.
He entered Holyrood under a salute from the
castle, while the approaches were lined by the
Hopetoun Fencibles and Windsor Foresters. He
held a levCe next day at the palace, where he was
soon after joined by his son, the Duc d?Angoul6me.
The royal family remained several years at Holyrood,
when they endeared themselves to all in
Edinburgh, where their presence was deemed but
greatest order and decency, and concluded without
the least air of disturbance.?
Yet brawls were apt to occur then and for long
after, as swords were worn in Edinburgh till a
later period than in England j and an advertisement
in the Cowant for June, 1761, refers to a
silver-mounted sword having been taken in mistake
at an election of peers in that year at
Holyrood.
The ancient palace had once more royal inmates
when, on the 6th of June, 1796, there
landed at Leith, under a salute from the fort,
H.R.H. the Comte d?Artois, Charles Philippe, the
brother of Louis XVI., in exile, seeking a home
under the roof of the royal race that had so
often intermarried with his family, and which in
a natural link of the old alliance that used to exist
between Scotland and France.
The count, with his sons the Duc d?Angoul6me
and the Duc de Bem, was a constant attender at the
drills of the Edinburgh Volunteers, in the meadows
or elsewhere, though he never got over a horror of
the uniform they wore then-blue, faced with redwhich
reminded him too sadly of the ferocious
National Guard of France. , He always attended in
his old French uniform, with the order of St.
Ampoule on his left breast, just as we may see him
in Kay?s Portraits. He was present at St. Anne?s
Yard when, in 1797, the Shropshire Militia, under
Lord Clive-the j ~ s t English regiment of militia
that ever entered Scotland-was reviewed by Lord
Adam Gordon, the commander-in-chief. ... old alliance that used to exist between Scotland and France . The count, with his sons the Duc ...

Book 3  p. 76
(Score 1.43)

478 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
335. KING, QUEEN, and DAUPHIN OF FRANCE.' This well-executed Print
of the unfortunate Louis the Sixteenth, and his equally ill-fated Consort and Son,
is said by Kay to have been taken from the lid of a French snuff-box.
336. This is rather an ingenious Portrait of the EMPERORN APOLEONI. ;
but whether the design be original or a copy has not been stated by Kay.
337. TOUSSAINLTO WERTURGEe,n eral of the black troops of St. Domingo,
and Governor of that island. Born a slave,
his means of instruction were extremely limited, yet he acquired a tolerable
knowledge of the rudiments of education, and conducted himself with the
utmost propriety while a bondsman. On the revolt of the blacks he joined
his countrymen, and gradually attained the supreme command. During the
period of his government, he displayed a capacity for legislation equal to his
courage and generalship in the field. When, after a severe struggle for the
independence of Hayti, he at length submitted to the overwhelming forces of
the French, and had retired to his estate, under the guarantee of protection,
he was privately seized, carried on board a French man-of-war, and hurried away
to France, where he was thrown into prison, and there expired, after a lingering
illness, in the second year of the Consulate (1803). His fate, however,
operated with talismanic effect upon his countrymen ; they flew to arms ; and,
headed by the brave but cruel Dessaline, completed that independence of which,
under the patriotic Louverture, they had shown themselves worthy.
He was an extraordinary man.
338. HENRYB ROUGEAMa, fterwards Lord Brougham and Vaux. This
Etching of the la.te Lord High Chancellor is from a medal, cast in 1812, to
commemorate his exertions in the cause of commerce. The public life of Lord
Brougham is too well known to require any comment here. His father, Henry
Brougham, of Brougham Hall, in Westmoreland, happening to visit Edinburgh,
was recommended to reside with the widow of the Rev. Mr. Syme, sister of
Principal Robertson, who occupied the second flat of WLellan's Land, head of
the Cowgate. Here he found himself so much at home that he was induced to
prolong his stay ; and at length falling in love with Miss Eleanor, daughter of
Mrs, Syme, he married her, and settled in Edinburgh. For some time the
parties continued to reside with Mrs. Syme, but they afterwards removed to
St. Andrew Square, where the subject of the medal was born in 1779. He
was the eldest son ; and, as generally known, studied for the Scottish bar, to
which he was admitted in 1800, and where he practised for some time prior to
A curious volume was printed some time ago, the object of which waa to establish that the
Dauphin escaped from the revolutionary murderers-that the Empress Josephine and Napoleon were
cognisant of his existence-that he lived for a series of years as a watchmaker in Prnssia-and that,
if he were allowed half-an-hour's conversation with the Duchess d'ilngoulbme, he could establish his
birth. He set up no claim to the crown of France, but merely demanded restoration of his civil
rights as a true-born Frenchman. He commenced legal proceedings to have his status established,
but these were stopped by Louis Philippe. He took the title of Duke of Normandy. ... BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 335. KING, QUEEN, and DAUPHIN OF FRANCE .' This well-executed Print of the unfortunate ...

Book 9  p. 636
(Score 1.39)

anderwent at sea, yet he adds, ?our numbers
amounted to 700, and with the loss of three we
made ourselves masters of the island, defended by
800 English trained to war and accustomed to
slaughter.? The Queen Regent and Monluc, the
Bishop of Valence, visited the island after its recapture,
and, according to the French account, were
rather regaled by the sight of 300 English corpses
strewn about it.
The castle was afterwards demolished by order of
LEITH HARBOUR ABOUT 1700. (Fronr am Oil Paint ng in fhe Tn?ni2y trousu, Lcifh.)
The French troops in Leith, being all trained
veterans, inured to military service in the wars of
Francis I. and Henry II., gave infinite trouble to
the raw levies of the Lords of the Congregation,
who began to blockade the town in October,
1559. Long ere this Mary, Queen of Scots, had
become the bride of Francis of France ; and her
mother, who had upheld the Catholic cause so
vigorously, was on her deathbed in the castle of
Edinburgh.
the Scottish Parliament as useless, and nothing
remains of it now but a stone, bearing the royal
arms, built into the lighthouse ; but the French
troops in Leith conceived such high ideas of the excellent
properties of the grass there, that all their
horses were pastured upon it, and for ten years
*hey always termed it ? L?isZe des Chvaux.?
So pleased was Mary of Lorraine with the presence
of her French soldiers in Leith, that-
:according to Maitland-she erected for herself ? a
?house at the corner of Quality Wynd in the Rotten
Row ;? but Robertson states that ?a general impression
has existed that Queen Street was the site
of the residence of the Queen Dowager.? Above
ithe door of it were the arms of Scotland and Guise.
The Lords of Congregation, before proceeding to
extremities with the French, sent a summons,in
the names of ?their sovereign lord and lady,
Francis and Mary, King and Queen of Scotland
and France, demanding that all Scots and Frenchmen,
of whatever estate or degree, depart out of the
town of Leith within the space of twelve hours.?
To this no answer was returned, so the Scottish
troops prepared for an assault by escalade; but
when they applied their ladders to the wall they
were found to be too short, and the heaiy fire of
the French arquebusiers repelled the assailants
with loss, These unlucky scaling-ladders had been
made in St. Giles?s Church, a circumstance which,
curiously enough, is said to have irritated the ... Queen of Scots, had become the bride of Francis of France ; and her mother, who had upheld the Catholic ...

Book 5  p. 173
(Score 1.38)

......

Book 8  p. 303
(Score 1.37)

......

Book 8  p. 429
(Score 1.37)

I72 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Leith.
.but the3ittle .warlike episode connected with Inchkeith
forms a part of it.
In the rare view of Holyrood given at page 45
.of Vol. II., Inchkeith is shown in the distance, with
its castle, a great square edifice, having a round
tower at each corner. The English garrison here
were in a position which afforded them many
.advantages, and they committed many outrages on
the shores of Fife and Lothian; and when it be-
.came necessary to dislodge them, M. de Biron, a
French officer, left Leith in a galley to reconnoitre
to the island, and evident selection of the only
landing-place, roused the suspicions of the garrison.
Finding theirintentions discovered, they made direct
for the rock, and found the English prepared to
dispute every inch of it with them.
Leaping ashore, with pike, sword, and arquebus,
they attacked the English hand to hand, drove
them into the higher parts of the island, where
Cotton, their commander, and George Appleby,
one of his officers, were killed, with several English
gentlemen of note. The castle was captured, and
@he island-the same galley in which, it is said,
little Queen Mary afterwards went to France. The
English garrison were no doubt ignorant of Biron?s
object in sailing round the isle, as they did not fire
upon him.
Mary of Lorraine had often resorted to Leith
since the arrival of her cour.trymen ; and now she
took such an interest in the expedition to Inchkeith
that she personally superintended the embarkation,
on Corpus Christi day, the 2nd of June,
1549. Accompanied by a few Scottish troops, the
French detachment, led by Chapelle de Biron, De
Ferrieres, De Gourdes, and other distinguished
.officers, quitted the harbour in small boats, and to
.deceive the English as to their intentions sailed up
and down the Firth ; but their frequent approaches
the English driven pell-mell into a corner of the
isle, where they had no alternative but to throw
themselves into the sea or surrender. In this combat
De Biron was wounded on the head by an
arquebus, and had his helmet so beaten about his
ears that he had to be carried off to the boats.
Desbois, his standard-bearer, fell under the pike
of Cotton, the English commander, and Gaspare
di Strozzi, leader of the Italians, was slain. An
account of the capture of this island was published
in France, and it is alike amusing and remarkable
for the bombast in which the French writer indulged.
He records at length the harangues of
the Queen Regent and the French leaders as the
expedition quitted Leith, the length and tedium of
the voyage, and the sufferings which the troops ... which, it is said, little Queen Mary afterwards went to France . The English garrison were no doubt ignorant of ...

Book 5  p. 172
(Score 1.36)

survivors of the corps would make their last actual
appearance in public at the laying of the foundation
of his monument, on the 15th of August, 1840.
The last captain of the Guard was James Burnet,
their ancestors and successors, were attached to
most royal foundations, and they are mentioned in
the chartulary of Moray, about 1226. The number
of these Bedesmen was increased by one every
CHAPTER XV.
THE CHURCH OF ST. GILES.
St. Giles?s Church-The Patron Saint-Its Origin and early Norman style-The Renovation of &-History of the Structure-Procession of the
Saint?s Relics-The Preston Relic-The Chapel of the Duke of Albmy-Funeral of the Regent Murray-The ?Gude Regent?s Aisle?-
The Assembly Aisle-Dispute between James VI. and the Church Party-Departure of James VI.-Haddo?s Hole-The Napicr Tomb-
The Spire and lantern-Clock and Bells-The KramesRestoration of 1878.
THE church of St. Giles, or Sanctus Egidius, as
he is termed in Latin, was the first parochial one
erected in the city, and its history can be satisfactorily
deduced from the early part of the 12th
century, when it superseded, or was engrafted on
an edifice of much smaller size and older date,
one founded about? IOO years after the death of
its patron saint, the abbot and confessor St. Giles,
who was born in Athens, of noble-some say royal
-parentage, and who, while young, sold his patrimony
and left his native country, to the end that
he might serve God in retirement. In the year
666 he amved at Provence, in the south of France,
and chose a retreat near Arles; but afterwards,
desiring more perfect solitude, he withdrew into a
forest near Gardo, in the diocese of Nismes, havjng
with him only one companion, Veredemus, who
lived with him on the fruits of the earth and the
milk of a hind. As Flavius Wamba, King of the
Goths, was one day hunting in the neighbourhood
of Nismes, his hounds pursued her to the hermitage
of the saint, where she took refuge. This hind
has been ever associated with St. Giles, and its
figure is to this day the sinister supporter of the
city arms. ( ? I Caledonia,? ii., p. 773.) St. Giles
died in 721, on the 1st of September, which was
always held as his festival in Edinburgh; and to some
disciple of the Benedictine establishment in the
south of France we doubtless owe the dedication
of the parish church there. , He owes his memory
in the English capital to Matilda of Scotland,
queen of Henry I., who founded there St. Giles?s
hospital for lepers in I I 17. Hence, the large parish
which now lies in the heart of London took its name ... In the year 666 he amved at Provence, in the south of France , and chose a retreat near Arles; but ...

Book 1  p. 138
(Score 1.35)

......

Book 9  p. 25
(Score 1.34)

......

Book 9  p. 233
(Score 1.33)

......

Book 9  p. 362
(Score 1.22)

......

Book 9  p. 431
(Score 1.22)

......

Book 9  p. 230
(Score 1.18)

......

Book 9  p. 262
(Score 1.18)

great leaders of that movement, and with cold and
hard hostility they gazed upon her wasted but once
beautifiil' features, as she conjured them in moving
terms to be loyal men and true to Mary, the girlqueen
of Scotland and of France, and touchingly
she implored the forgiveness of all. The apartment
in which she expired is one of those in the
royal lodging, within the present half - moon
battery. The rites of burial were denied her
body, and it lay in the Castle lapped in lead-till
carpets; the tables were of massive oak elaborately
carved ; the chairs of gilded leather with cushions
she had " eleven tapestries of gilded leather; right
of the ' Judgment of Paris'; five of the ' Triumph of
Virtue' j eight of green velvet brocaded with great
trees bearing armorial shields and holly branches ;
ten of cloth of gold and brocaded taffeta ; thirty
more of massive cloth of gold, one bearing the
story of the Count de Foix, eight bearing the
ducal arms of Longueville, five having the history
of King Rehoboam; four the hunts of the Unicorn;
as many more of the story of Eneis, and
EDINBURGH CASTLE, FROM THE SOUTH-WEST.
(Fa-simile 4f a Dutch Engraving fmm a Dmwing ay *don of RotUmay.) ... men and true to Mary, the girlqueen of Scotland and of France , and touchingly she implored the forgiveness of ...

Book 1  p. 45
(Score 1.18)

140 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [St. Giles's Church.
establishment, and Maitland gives us a roll of the
forty chaplaincies and altarages therein.
An Act of Council dated twelve years before
this event commemorates the gratitude ,of the
citizens to one who had brought from France a
relic of St. Giles, and, modernised, it runs thus :-
*' Be it kenned to all men by these present letters,
we, the provost, bailies, counselle and communitie
of the burgh of Edynburgh, to be bound
and obliged to William Prestoune of Gourton, son
and heir to somewhile iVilliam Prestoune of Gourton,
and to the friends and sirname
of them, that for so much
that William Prestoune the
father, whom God assoile, made
diligent labour, by a high and
mighty prince, the King of
France (Charles VII.), and
many other lords of France, for
getting the arm-bone of St. Gile,
the which bone he freely left to
our mother kirk of St. Gile of
Edinburgh, without making any
condition. We, considering the
great labour and costs that he
made for getting thereof, promise
that within six or seven years,
in all the possible and goodly
haste we may, that we shall
build an aisle forth from our
Ladye aisle, where the said William
lies, the said aisle to be
begun within a year, in which
aisle there shall be brass for his
lair in bost (it., for his grave in
embossed) work, and above the
brass a writ, specifying the
bringing of that Rylik by him
into Scotland, with his arms, and
his arms to be put in hewn
church of his name in the Scottish quarter of
Bruges, and on the 1st of September is yearly
borne through the streets, preceded by all thedrums
in the garrison.
To this hour the arms of Preston still remain in
the roof of the aisle, as executed by the engagement
in the charter quoted; and the Prestons
continued annually to exercise their right of bearing
the arm of the patron saint of the city until
the eventful year 1558, when the clergy issued
forth for the last time in solemn procession on
the day of his feast, the 1st
SEAL OF ST. G1LES.t (A ffw Henry Lain&.
work, in three other parts of the aisle, with book
and chalice and all other furniture belonging
thereto. Also, that we shall assign the chaplain
of whilome Sir William of Prestoune, to sing at the
altar from that time forth. . . . . Item, that
as often as the said Rylik is borne in the year,
that the sirname and nearest of blood of the said
William shall bear the said Rylik, before all
others, &c. In witness of which things we have
set to our common seal at Edinburgh the 11th
day of the month of January, in the year of our
Lord 1454"*
The other arm of St. Giles is preserved in the
Frag. : " Scotomomastica."
September, bearing with them
a statue of St. Giles-"a marmouset
idol," Knox calls itborrowed
from the Grey Friars,
because the great image of the
saint, which was as large as life,
had been stolen from its place,
and after being '' drouned " in
the North Loch as an encourager
of idolatry, was burned
as a heretic by some earnest
Reformers. Only two years
before this event the Dean of
Guild had paid 6s. for painting
the image, and Izd. for
polishing the silver arm containing
the relic. To give dignity
to this last procession the
queen regent attended it in
person; but the moment she
left it the spirit of the mob
broke forth. Some pressed close.
to the image, as if to join in
its support, while endeavouring
to shake it down; but this.
proved impossible, so firmly was
it secured to its supporters; and
the struggle, rivalry, and triumph
of the mob were delightful -to Knox, who described
the event with the inevitable glee in which
he indulged on such occasions.
Only four years after all this the saint's silverwork,
ring and jewels, and all the rich vestments,
wherewith his image and his arm-bone were wont
to be decorated on high festivals, were sold by
the authority of the magistrates, and the proceeds
employed in the repair of the church.
f Under a canopy supported by spiral columns a full-length figure of.
St. Giles with the nimbus, holding the crozier in his right hand, and ih
his left a Look and a branch. A kid, the usual attendant on St. Giles,
is playfully leaping up to his hand. On the pedestal is a shield bearing
the castle triple-towered, S. COMMUNE CAPTI BTI EGIDII DEEDINBURGH.
(Apfindrd to a chartrr by the Provost [ Waite, FodesJ d Chuptrr
of St. Gdes of fke man= andgkk in favmrof the magisfrates and'
conzmndy of Edindrryh, A.D. 1496.") ... gratitude ,of the citizens to one who had brought from France a relic of St. Giles, and, modernised, it runs ...

Book 1  p. 140
(Score 1.16)

  Next Page More Results

  Back Go back to Edinburgh Bookshelf

Creative Commons License The scans of Edinburgh Bookshelf are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.