Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Bookshelf

Search

Index for “elizabeth graham”

......

Book 8  p. 39
(Score 2.87)

......

Book 8  p. 47
(Score 2.79)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 465
changes were effected in the forms of process j and the Jury Court, as a separate
judicature, was abolished. Mi. Bell was appointed one of the Principal Clerks
of Session in 1831, in the place of Sir Walter Scott. In 1833 he waa called
upon to act as chairman of the Royal Commission to examine into the state of
the Law in general. He died 33d September 1843.
VI1.-WILLIAM ROSE ROBINSON, of Clermiston, in the county of
Edinburgh, late Sheriff of Lanark, passed advocate in 1804. His father,
George Robertson of Clermiston, was a Writer to the Signet. Prior to his
being appointed to the office of Sheriff; which compelled his residence in the
west country, Mr. Robinson had very good practice as an advocate. He married,
8th April 1811, Mary, second daughter of James Douglas, Esq., of Orchyarton,
by whom he left several children. He died in 1834, and was succeeded
as Sheriff of Lanark by Archibald Alison, Esq.
VIIL-JOHN WRIGHT, lecturer on law-formerly noticed (vol. I. p, 268).
1X.-JOHN GRAHAM DALYELL, afterwards SIR J. G. DALYELKLn, ight
and Baronet, the author of a valuable work on the Early Superstitions of Scotland,
was born in 1778, and admitted advocate in 1797. He was the second
son of the late Sir Robert Dalyell, fourth Bart. of Binns, Linlithgo-wshire, by
Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Nicol Graham, Esq., of Gartmore, and early in
life distinguished himself by the publication of various works illustrative of the
history and poetry of his native country ; amongst which may be enumerated
Fragments of Scottish History, 4to ; Scottish Poems of the Sixteenth Century,
2 vols., 12mo ; an edition of Richard Bannatyne's valuable Memorials, 8vo ;
and various tracts on the Chartularies of Ancient Religious Houses in Scotland.
He was also deeply versed in natural history, and gave to the world Dissertations
on the Propagation of Zoophytes ; the History of the Genus Planaria ;
and an edition of Spallanzani's Tracts, in 2 vols. 8170. He was successively
President of the Society for encouraging the Useful Arts in Scotland, Vice-President
of the Society of Antiquaries, and one of the representatives of the Fourth
District in the Town-Council of Edinburgh. In the year 1837 the honour of
knighthood was conferred, by letters patent under the Great Sed, for his
attainments in literature. He succeeded his brother as sixth Baronet in 1841,
and died 7th June 1 85 1.
X.-FRANCIS JEFFREY, afterwards LORD JEFFREY.
a biographical sketch, of his lordship have already appeared
A Portrait, with
XI.-JOHN JARDINE passed advocate in 1799. He was the only son of
the late George Jardine, who was for upwards of fifty years a distinguished
Professor in the University of Glasgow, and who introduced that system of
practical discipline in the Philosophy Classes, for which that seminary has been
since so much distinguished, and which is fully explained by the Professor in
VOL. II. 30 ... SKETCHES. 465 changes were effected in the forms of process j and the Jury Court, as a ...

Book 9  p. 620
(Score 2.59)

......

Book 8  p. 46
(Score 2.49)

208 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Great Stuart Street.
shire, and of Amelia, daughter of Alexander Graham,
of Duntrune, who died in 1804 and was thus
the last lineal representative of Claverhouse.
In addition to her accomplishments, she possessed
wit and invention in a high degree, and was
always lively, kind, and hospitable. She had a
keen perception of the humorous, and was well
known in Edinburgh society in the palmy days of
Jeffrey. Gifted with great powers of mimicry, her
personifications at
private parties were
so unique, that
even those who
knew her best were
deceived. One of
the most amusing
of these took place
in 18z1, at the
house of Jeffrey.
He asked her to
give a personation
of an old lady, to
which she consented,
but, in
order to have a
little amusement at
his expense, she
called upon him
in the character of
a ? Lady Pitlyal,?
to ask his professional
opinion
upon an imaginary
law plea, which she
alleged her agent
was misconducting.
On this occasion
she drove up to
his house in? the
carriage of Lord
Gillies, accompagood
humour. Her conversation, so far as I have
had the advantage of hearing it, is shrewd and
sensible, but noways brilliant. She dined with us,
went off as to the play, and returned in the character
of an old Scottish lady. Her dress and behaviour
were admirable, and her conversation
unique. I was in the secret of course, and did
my best to keep up the ball, but she cut me out of
all feather. The prosing account she gave of her
WILLIAM EDMONSTOUNE AYTOUN.
(F7m a Ph&-ra#h ay MCSSYX. Ross and Tbmsa.)
nied by a young lady as her daughter, and so
complete was the personification, that the acute
Jeffrey did not discover till next day that he had
been duped ! This episode created so much amusement
in Edinburgh that it fdund its way into
the pages of Blachood. Sir Walter Scott, who
was a spectator of Miss Graham?s power of personation,
wrote thus regarding it :-
Went to my Lord Gillies to dinner,
and witnessed a singular exhibition of personification.
Miss Stirling Graham, a lady of the family
from which Claverhouse was descended, looks like
thuty years old, and has a face of the Scottish cast,
with good expression, in point of good sense and
? March 7.
son, the antiquary,
who found an old
ring in a slate
quarry, was extremely
ludicrous,
and she puzzled
the professor of
agriculture with a
merci!ess account
of the succession
of crops in the
parks around her
old mansion house.
No person to
whom the secret
was not entrusted
had the least guess
of an impostor,
except the shrewd
young lady present,
who.observed
the hand narrowly,
and saw that it
was plumper than
the age of the lady
seemed to warrant.
This lady and Miss
Bell, of Coldstream,
have this
gift of personation
to a much greater
degree than any
person I ever saw.? Miss Graham published in
1S29 the ?Bee Preserver,? translated from the
work of M. de Gelieu, for which she received the
medal of the Highland Society. She possessed a
large circle of friends, and never had an enemy.
Her friend William Edmondstoune Aytoun died
on the 4th August, 1865, sincerely regretted by all
who knew him, and now lies under a white marble
monument in the beautiful cemetery at the Dean.
Charles Baillie, Lord Jerviswoode, who may well
be deemed by association one of the last of the
historical Lords of Session, for years was the occupant
of No. 14, Randolph Crescent, and his name
is one which awakens many sad and gentle ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Great Stuart Street. shire, and of Amelia, daughter of Alexander Graham, of Duntrune, ...

Book 4  p. 208
(Score 2.45)

......

Book 8  p. 35
(Score 2.41)

......

Book 8  p. 44
(Score 2.39)

......

Book 8  p. 41
(Score 2.32)

......

Book 9  p. 687
(Score 2.19)

Craigcrook.] HISTORY OF CRAIGCROOK. 107
summer residence of Lord Jeffrey-deeply secluded
amid coppice.
The lands of Craigcrook appear to have belonged
in the fourteenth century to the noble family of
Graham. By a deed bearing date 9th April, 1362,
Patrick Graham, Lord of Kinpunt, and David
Graham, Lord of Dundaff, make them over to
John de Alyncrum, burgess of Edinburgh. He
in turn settled them on a chaplain officiating at
?Our Lady?s altar,? in the church of St. Giles,
and his successors to be nominated by the magistrates
of Edinburgh.
John de Alyncrum states his donation of those
lands of Craigcrook, was ? to be for the salvation
of the souls of the late king and queen (Robert
and Elizabeth), of the present King David, and of
all their predecessors and successors ; for the salvation
of the souls of all the burghers of Edinburgh,
their predecessors and successors ; of his own father
and mother, brothers, sisters, etc. ; then of himself
and of his wife; and, finally, of all faithful souls
deceased.?
The rental of Craigcrook in the year 1368 was
only A6 6s. 8d. Scots per annum; and in 1376 it
was let at that rate in feu farm, to Patrick and
John Lepars.
At an early period it became the property of
the Adamsons. William Adamson was bailie of
Edinburgh in 1513, and one of the guardians of
the city after the battle of Flodden, and Williim
Adamson of Craigcrook, burgess of Edinburgh
(and probably son of the preceding), was killed at
the battle of Pinkie, in 1547 ; and by him or his
immediate successors, most probably the present
castle was built-an edifice wbich Wood, in his
learned ?? History of Cramond Parish,? regards
as one of the most ancient in the parish.
In consequence of the approaching Reformation,
the proceeds of the lands were no longer required
for pious purposes, and the latter were made over by
Sir Simon Prestonof Craigmillar, when Provost, to Sir
Edward Marj oribanks, styled Prebend of Craigcrook.
They were next held for a year, by George Kirkaldy,
brother of Sir James Kirkaldy of Grange in
Fifeshire, Lord High Treasurer of Scotland, who
engaged to pay for them A27 6s. 8d. Scots.
In June, 1542, they reverted again to Sir Edward
Majoribanks, who assigned them in perpetual feufarm
to William Adamson before-named. This
wealthy burgess had acquired much property in
the vicinity, including Craigleith, Cammo, Groat
Hall, Clermiston, Southfield, and part of Cramond
Regis. After Pinkie he was succeeded by his son
William, and Craigcrook continued to pass through
several generations of his heirs, till it came into
~~
the hands of Robert Adamson, who, in 1656, sold
to different persons the whole of his property.
Craigcrook was purchased by John Muir, merchant
in Edinburgh, whose son sold it to Sir John
Hall, Lord Provost of the city in 1689-92. He was
created a baronet in 1687, and was ancestor of the
Halls of Dunglass, on the acquisition of which, in
East Lothian, he sold Craigcrook to Walter Pringle,
advocate, from whose son it was purchased by John
Strachan, clerk to the signet.
When the latter died in 1719, he left the whole
of his property, with North Clermiston and the
rest of his fortune, both in land and movables
(save some small sums to his relations) ?? mortified
for charitable purposes,?
The regulations were that the rents should be
given to poor old men and women and orphans ;
that the trustees should be ?two advocates, two
Writers to the Signet, and the Presbytery of Edinburgh,
at the sight of the Lords of Session, and any
two of these members,? for whose trouble one
hundred merks yearly is allowed.
There are also allowed to the advocates, poor
fifty merks Scots, and to those of the writers to the
signet one hundred merks ; also twenty pounds
annually for a Bible to one of the members of the
Presbytery, beginning with the moderator and
going through the rest in rotation.
This deed is dated the 24th September, 1712.
The persons constituted trustees by it held a meeting
and passed resolutions respecting several
points which had not been regulated in the will. A
clerk and factor, each with a yearly allowance of
twenty pounds, were appointed to receive the
money, pay it out, and keep the books.
They resolved that no old person should be
admitted under the age of sixty-five, nor any orphan
above the age of twelve; and that no annuity
should exceed five pounds.
Among the names in a charter by William
Forbes, Provost of the Collegiate Church of St.
Giles, granting to that church a part of the ground
lying contiguous to his manse for a burial-place,
dated at Edinburgh, 14th January, 1477-8, there
appears that of Ricardus Robed, jrebena?anks de
Cragmk mansepropie (? Burgh Charters.?)
Over the outer gate of the courtyard a shield
bore what was supposed to have been the arms of
the Adamsons, and the date 1626 ; but Craigcrook
has evidently been erected a century before that
period. At that time its occupant was Walter
Adamson, who succeeded his father Willian~
Adamson in 1621, and whose sister, Catharine,
married Robert Melville of Raith, according to
the Douglas Peerage. ... HISTORY OF CRAIGCROOK. 107 summer residence of Lord Jeffrey-deeply secluded amid coppice. The lands ...

Book 5  p. 107
(Score 2.17)

......

Book 9  p. 393
(Score 2.17)

......

Book 9  p. 566
(Score 2.16)

Canongate.] MONTROSE.
OF all the wonderful and startling spectacles witnessed
amid the lapse of ages from the windows
of the Canongate, none was perhaps more startling
and pitiful than the humiliating procession which
conducted the great Marquis of Montrose to his
terrible doom.
On the 18th of May, 1650, he was brought across
the Forth to Leith, after his defeat and capture by
:he Covenanters at the battle of Invercarron, where
he had displayed the royal standard; and it is
THE GOLFERS? LAND.
impossible now to convey an adequate idea of the
sensation excited in the city, when the people became
aware that the Graham, the victor in so
many battles, and the slayer of so many thousands
of the best troops of the Covenant, was almost at
their gates.
Placed on a cart-horse, he was brought in by the
eastern barrier of the city, as it was resolved, by
the influence of his rival and enemy, Argyle, to
protract the spectacle of his humiliation as long as
CHAPTER 11.
THE CANONGATE (continpud). ... MONTROSE. OF all the wonderful and startling spectacles witnessed amid the lapse of ages from the ...

Book 3  p. 13
(Score 2.15)

......

Book 8  p. 42
(Score 2.06)

......

Book 9  p. 350
(Score 2.06)

HISTORICAL AND DFSCRIPTIVE NOTES. 67
escutcheon, confirm the tradition in question, the armorial bearings (three
cinquefoils) are not those pertaining to the surname of Lawson, but to that of
Liviagsfon; and moreover it appears, from the city records, that the Town
Treasurer or Chamberlain, up to Martinmas 1645, was John Fairholme, his
successor in office being John Jossie, the friend of George Heriot.
On the north wall of the mansion-house of Greenhill, in the immediate
neighbourhood of the enclosure, is a semicircular stone with the letters
already mentioned (I * L and E * R), under the date 1637 ; and on a similar
stone, in the west wall, is an ornamental escutcheon, surmounted by the
initials E - R, and charged with a saltire between a mullet in chief and a'
crescent in base, bearing a close resemblance to the armorial seal of Hugh
Rigg of Carbeny, described in Nisbet's System of UeraZdry. In all probability,
the initiaIs E + R (Elizabeth Rigg ?) indicate the wife of a certain
John Livingston, whose virtues are recorded on the monumental slab ; and
this view is corroborated by the following entry in the Register of Proclamations
and Marriages for the city of Edinburgh :--20 Aprilis 1626. Johnne
Levingstoun Merchant, Elizabeth Rig.' Above the initials on the north wall,
on a smalI semicircular stone surmounted by a crescent, are some scriptural
lines; while the ninth verse of the thirty-fourth Psalm is inscribed on a
similar stone adjoining the escutcheon on the west wall :-' 0 feare the Lord
yee His saints; for there is no want to them that feare Him.'
'
. .
KNOLL NEAR SRUNTSBIELD HOUSF.
Near the south-eastern corner of Bruntsfield Links is an interesting
knoll, from whiich the chivalrous James IV. is said to have surveyed his army
previous to the battle of Flodden. In the formation of a new street through
the grounds of Sir George Jarrender, this historical spot will probably soon
be removed, the hand of the spoiler is even now upon it. ... AND DFSCRIPTIVE NOTES. 67 escutcheon, confirm the tradition in question, the armorial bearings ...

Book 11  p. 108
(Score 1.98)

INDEX TO THE NAMES, ETC. 439
Gibson, Nr. George, 300
Gibson, Mr. Joseph, 330
Gibson, Rev. Mr., 415
Gilchrist, Mr. William, 242
Gilchrist, Mr. John, 242
Gilchrist, Mr. Edward, 242
Gilchrist, Miss Eliza, 242
Gilmour, Mrs., 225
Glenlee, Lord, 243
Glenorchy, Lady, 194, 195
Gobius, Professor, 339
Goldie, Principal, 94
Gordon, Captain, 41
Gordon, Mr. Robert, 52
Gordon, Duke of, 72, 91, 185,212,
Gordon, Duchess of, 184, 187, 217
Gordon, Lady Charlotte, 91
Gordon, Lady Ann, 72
Gordon, Dr. Eden Scott, 78
Gordon, Sir William, 100
Gordon, Miss Anne, 100
Gordon, Colonel John, of Cluny,
Gordon, Hon. William, 204
Gordon, Hon. Alexander, 204
Gordon, Miss, of Towie, 252, 253
Gordon, Mr. William, 303
Gordon, 31r. Duke, 321, 322
Gordon, Lord Adam, 363, 375
Gordon of Glenbucket, 420
Gongh, Richard, 245, 247
Gould, Sergeant-Major, 342, 344
Gouldie, Mr. Thomas, 167
Graham, Dr. James, 45, 58
Graham, William, 30
Graham, Jean, 30
Graham, William, 30, 31
Graham, James, of Airth, 128
Graliam, Miss Marion, 128
Graham, Brigadier-General, 403
Grant, Ann, 260
Grant, John, 278
Grant, Mr. M'Dougal, 279
Grant, Lewis Alexander, Earl of
Seafield, 279
Grant, Colonel Francis, 279
Grant, John, 309
Grant,Captain Gregoq-, FL N., 419
Grant, Lieutenant Charles, 422,
Gray, Mr., 241
Gray, Mr., 255
Gray, William, Esq., 377
Gray, Miss Anne Henrietta, 377
Greenlaw, Mr., 44
402
203
423
Gregory, Dr. John, 254, 255,256,
Zregory, Mr. Donald, 341
Sreig, Admiral, 104
Srenville, Yr., 76
;rey,General Sir Charles, 106,383
Srieve, John, Esq., 33
arose, Mr. Francis, 46
Zrose, Daniel, 47
;rose, Captain, 245, 288
;roves, Mr., 260
herre, Martin, 205
Guigan, Tim, 346
Guildford, Earl of, 89
339
H
HADDINGTOENa,r l of, 251, 364
Haddington, Countess of, 251
Haddo, Lord, 64
Haig, Messrs., 383
Hailes, Lord, 245, 260, 270, 302,
Haldane, Captain Robert, 360
Haldane, John, Esq., 360
Haldane, Robert, Esq., 194
Haldane, James, Esq., 300, 333,
Haldaue, Miss Helen, 360
Halifax, Lord, 129
Halkett, Colonel Charles Craigie,
Halkett, Miss Isabella Cornelia,
Hall, Rev. Dr. James, 261, 300
Hall, Rev. Robert, 337
Halliday, Mr. James, 105
Halliday, Miss Jane, 105
Hallion, Mr., 228
Halls, Miss, of Thornton, 81
Hamilton, Sir William, K.B., 36
Hamilton, Walter, Esq., 43, 119
Hamilton, Professor Alex., 58, 79
Hamilton, Duke of, 81, 253, 288
Hamilton, Duchess of, 288
Hamilton, William, Esq., 96,402
Hamilton, John, of Bardowie, 99
Hamilton, Lieutenant Robert, 237
Hamilton, Hon. Thomas, 251
Hamilton, Robert, Esq., 261
Hamilton, Rcv. Dr., 299, 321
Hamilton, Dr. James, senior, 255,
Hamilton, Dr. Jameq junior, 341
Eamilton, Lady Christian, 364
Hampden, Viscountess, 75
Hardy, Rev. Mr,, 261
303, 412
334
316
316
340
Harris and Leake, Messrs., 149
Harris, Mr., 151
Harris, Sir James, 260
Hart, Major, 192
Hart, Macduff, 223
Hart, Orlando, 224
Hastie, Mr., baker, 427
Hastings, Warren, 378
Hauy, Abb6, 372
Hawkins, Captain, 419
Hay, David, 128
Hay, Sir James, 181, 226
Hay, James, Esq., W.S., 199
Hay, Sir John, of Killour, 204
Hay, Dr. Thomas, 237
Hay, Mr. John, 261
Hay, Mr. Robert, 287
Hay, Sir James of Smithfield, 425
Hay, Sir John, 425
Head, Major, 130
Henderland, Lord, 302, 307, 418
Henderson, Dr. Alexander, 146
Henderson, Michael, 260,263,264
Henderson, Mr. A., 398
Henry VIII., 96
Henry, Dr. 303
Hepburn, Mr., of Humbie, 319
Hepburn, Mr. Ceorge Buchan, 430
Herd, Mr. l)avid, 245, 246
Heriot, George, 2
Hermand, Lord, 298
Heron, Mr., 82
Herries, Sir Robert, 181, 183
Hewen, Captaiu Thomas, 237
Hill, Mr. Peter, 206
Hill, Rev. Dr., 271, 320, 324
Hill, Sir Rowland, 335
Hill, Lord, 335
Hill, Mr. Richard, 336
Hill, Rev. Rowland, 357
Hill, Mrs., 336, 339
Hill, Mr. James, 360
Hobart, Lord, 239
Hogg, James, the Ettrick Shep-
Holt, Rowland, Esq., 251
Holt, Miss Mary, 251
Home, Rev. John, 53, 66, 93,348
Home, Lord, 81
Home, Earl of, 196
Home, Mr., of Eccles, 249
Home, Mr. George, 303
Hone, Mr., 47
Hook, Mr., 151
Hope, Professor, 20, 209
Hope, Dr. Charles, 64
herd, 45 ... TO THE NAMES, ETC. 439 Gibson, Nr. George, 300 Gibson, Mr. Joseph, 330 Gibson, Rev. Mr., 415 Gilchrist, ...

Book 8  p. 612
(Score 1.92)

162 OLD AED NEW EDINBURGH. [Hanover Street.
in yhich David Hume died the Bible Society oi
Edinburgh was many years afterwards constituted,
and held its first sitting.
In the early part of the present century, No. 19
was the house of Miss Murray of Kincairnie, in
Perthshire, a family now extinct.
In 1826 we find Sir Walter Scott, when ruin
had come upon? him, located in No. 6, Mrs.
Brown?s lodgings, in a third-rate house of St.
David Street, whither he came after Lady Scott?s
death at Abbotsford, on the 15th of May in thatto
him-most nielancholy year of debt and sorrow,
and set himself calmly down to the stupendous
task of reducing, by his own unaided exertions, the
enormous monetary responsibilities he had taken
upon himself.
Lockhqt tells us that a week before Captain
Basil Hall?s visit at No. 6, Sir Walter had suf
ficiently mastered himself to resume his literary
tasks, and was working with determined resolution
at his ?Life of Napoleon,? while bestowing
an occasional day to the ?Chronicles of the
Canongate ?? whenever he got before the press with
his historical MS., or felt the want of the only
repose Be ever cared for-simply a change oi
labour.
No. 27,
now a shop, was the house of Neilson of Millbank,
and in No. 33, now altered and sub-divided, dwell
Lord Meadowbank, prior to I 7gqknown when at the
bar as Allan Maconochie. He left several children,
one of whom, Alexander, also won a seat on the
bench as Lord Meadowbank, in 18x9. No. 39, at
the corner of George Street, w2s the house ol
Majoribanks of Marjoribanks and that ilk.
No. 54, now a shop, was the residence of Si1
John Graham Dalyell when at the bar, to which
he was admitted in 1797. He was the second son
of Sir Robert Dalyell, Bart., of Binns, in Linlithgowshire,
and in early life distinguished himself by the
publication of various works illustrative of the
history and poetry of his native country, particularly
?Scottish Poems of the Sixteenth Century,??
?? Bannatyne Memorials,? ?? Annals of the Religious
Houses in Scotland,? Szc. He was vice-president
of the Antiquarian Society, and though heir-presumptive
to the baronetcy in his family, received
in 1837 the honour of knighthood, by letters patent
under the Great Seal, for his attainments in literature.
A few doors farther down the street is now the
humble and unpretentious-looking office of that
most useful institution, the Edinburgh Association
for Improving the Condition of the Poor, and
maintained, like every other charitable institution
in the city, by private contributions.
Hanover Street was built about 1786.
In South Hanover Street, No. 14-f old the
City of Glasgow Bank-is now the new hall of the
Merchant Company, containing many portraits of
old merchant burgesses on its walls, and some
views of the city in ancient times which are not
without interest. Elsewhere we have given the
history of this body, whose new hall was inaugurated
on July 9, 1879, and found to be well adapted
for the purposes of the company.
The large hall, formerly the bank telling-room,
cleared of all the desks and other fixtures, now
shows a grand apartment in the style of the Italian
Renaissance, lighted by a cupola rising from eight
Corinthian ? pillars, with corresponding pilasters
abutting from the wall, which is covered by
portraits. The space available here is forty-seven
feet by thirty-two, exclusive of a large recess.
Other parts of the building afford ample accommodation
for carrying on the business of the ancient
company and for the several trusts connected
therewith. The old manageis room is now used
by the board of management, and those on the
ground floor have been fitted up for clerks. The
premises were procured for ~17,000.
All the business of the Merchant Company is
now conducted under one roof, instead of being
carried on partly in .the Old Town and partly in
the New, with the safes for the security of papers
of the various trusts located, thirdly, in Queen
Street.
By the year 1795 a great part of Frederick
Street was completed, and Castle Street was
beginning to be formed. The first named thoroughfare
had many aristocratic residents, particularly
widowed ladies-some of them homely yet stately
old matrons of the Scottish school, about whom
Lord Cockburn, &c., has written so gracefully and
so graphically-to wit, Mrs. Hunter of Haigsfield
in No. I, now a steamboat-office; Mrs. Steele of
Gadgirth, No. 13; Mrs. Gardner of Mount Charles,
No. 20 ; Mrs. Stewart of Isle, No. 43 ; Mrs. Bruce
of Powfoulis, No. 52 ; and Lady Campbell of
Ardkinglas in No. 58, widow of Sir Alexander, last
of the male line of Ardkinglas, who died in 1810,-
and whose estates went to the next-heir of entail,
Colonel James Callender, of the 69th Regiment,
who thereupon assumed the name of Campbell,
and published two volumes of ?Memoirs? in 1832,
but which, for cogent reasons, were suppressed by
his son-in-law, the late Sir James Graham of
Netherby. His wife, Lady Elizabeth Callender,
died at Craigforth in 1797.
In Numbers 34 and 42 respectively resided
Ronald McDonald of Staffa, and Cunningham of
Baberton, and in the common stair, No. 35, there ... OLD AED NEW EDINBURGH. [Hanover Street. in yhich David Hume died the Bible Society oi Edinburgh was many ...

Book 3  p. 162
(Score 1.86)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 285
THE MARQUIS OF GRAHAM was born in 1755, and succeeded his
father in 1790. He entered the House of Commons in 1781, as one of the
members for Richmond, in Yorkshire, along with the Right Hon. Sir Lawrence
Dundas, who was the other. He was subsequently one of the representatives of
Bedwin, Wiltshire j and, during the few years he remained in the Commons
unconnected with the Government, he proved himself a useful and independent
member-sometimes voting with, and sometimes against, the administration.
In 1784 the Marquis was appointed one of the Lords of the Treasury, then
formed under the leadership of Pitt; and throughout the arduous struggle
which ensued he continued a warm supporter of the Crown.
In 1789, when the indisposition of George 111. gave rise to the project of a
regency, which was urged with so much zeal and impatience by the opposition,
Burke was on one occasion so carried away by the violence of his feelings, that,
in reference to his Majesty, he declared, " the Almighty had hurled him from
his throne !" The Marquis, who was seated beside Pitt on the Treasury bench,
shocked with the rudeness of such language, instantly started to his feet, and
with great warmth, exclaimed-" No individual within these walls shall dare to
assert that the king was hurled from his throne !" A scene of great confusion
ensued. On the recovery of his Majesty, the Marquis was the mover of the
address to the queen.
In " Wraxhall's Mernoila of his own Times"-an amusing, but somewhat prejudiced
work-the following lively sketch of his lordship is given :-
" Few individuals, however distinguished by birth, talents, parliamentary
interest, or public services, have attained to more splendid employments, or have
arrived at greater honours, than Lord Graham under the reign of George the
Third. Besides enjoying the lucrative sinecure of Justice-General of Scotland
for life, we have s e p him occupy a place in the cabinet, while he was joint
Postmaster-General, during Pitt's second ill-fated administration. At the hour
that I am writing,' the Duke of Montrose, after having been many years
decorated with the insignia of the Thistle, is invested with the Order of the
Garter, in addition to the high post which he holds of Master of the Horse.
" In his person he was elegant and pleasing, as far as those qualities depend
on symmetry of external figure ; nor was he,deficient in all the accomplishments
befitting his illustrious descent. He possessed a ready elocution, sustained by
all the confidence in himself necessary for addressing the House. Nor did he
want ideas, while he confined himself to common sense, to argument, and to
matters of fact. If, however, he possessed no distinguished talents, he displayed
various qualities calculated to compensate for the want of great ability ; particularly
the prudence, sagacity, and attention to his inun imteTests, so chamcteristic of
the Caledonian people.'
He was elected one of the Knights of the Order of the Garter in 1812, under the regency of the
a The same qualities were attributed to the late Lord Viscount Melville-although the small
Prince of Wales.
property he left behind him gave the lie to the insinuation. ... SKETCHES. 285 THE MARQUIS OF GRAHAM was born in 1755, and succeeded his father in 1790. He entered ...

Book 8  p. 400
(Score 1.86)

reality as a spy from Elizabeth. ?He was next
visited, in a pretended friendly manner, by Sir
Williain Drury, Elizabeth?s Marshal of Berwick,
the same who built Drury House in Wych Street,
London, and who fell in a duel with Sir John
Burroughs about precedence, and from whom
Drury Lane takes its name. When about to enter
the Castle gate, an English deserter, who had
enlisted under Queen Mary, in memory of some
grudge, was about to shoot him with his arquebuse,
ROOM IN EDINBURGH GASTLE IN WHICH JAMES VI. WAS BORN.
began to invest the Castle with his paid Scottish
companies, who formed a battery on the Cast!e
hill, from which Kirkaldy drove them all in rout
on the night of the 15th. On the following day,
Sir William Drury, in direct violation of the
Treaty of Blois, which declared ?that no foreign
troops should enter Scotland,? at the head of the
old bands of Berwick, about 1,500 men, marched
for Edinburgh. A trumpeter, on the 25th of April,
summoned Kirkaldy to surrender j but he replied
Kirkaldy. This courtesy was ill-requited by his red flag on David?s Tower as a token of resistance
of the walls, &c.? In anticipation of a siege, the
citizens built several traverses to save the High
Street from being enfiladed ; one of these, formed
between the Thieves? Hole and Bess Wynd, was two
ells in thickness, composed of turf and mud; and
another near it was two spears high. In the city,
the Parliament assembled on the I 7th of January,
with a sham regalia of gilt brass, as Kirkaldy had
the crown and real regalia in the Castle.
When joined by some English pioneers, Morton
by the 15th of May. These were armed with
thirty guns, including two enormous bombardes or
roo-pounders, which were loaded by means of a
crane ; a great carthoun or £er ; and many
18-pounders. There was also a movable battery
of falcons. Under the Regent Morton, the first
battery was on the high ground now occupied by the
Heriot?s Hospital; the second,under Drury,opposed
to St. Margaret?s Tower, was near the Lothian
Road ; the third, under Sir C-eorge Carey, and the ... as a spy from Elizabeth. ?He was next visited, in a pretended friendly manner, by Sir Williain Drury, ...

Book 1  p. 48
(Score 1.85)

442 INDEX TO THE NAMES, ETC.
Murray, Amelia Jane, 244
Murray, Mr., 326
Murray, Sir Patrick, 575
Murray, Lord George, 420
lfurray, Lady, 420
M'Allister, Rev. John, 154
Ivf'Callum, Miss, 242
M'Cleish, T., 426
M'Cuaig, Rev. Duncan, 154
M'Cubbin, Rev. Dr., 170
M 'Dallagh, Patrick, 346
M'Dallagh, Mrs. Bridget, 346
M'Donald, Rev. John, 154
M'Donald, John, Esq., 170
M'Donnell, Mrs., 183
M'Dowall, Patrick, Esq., 225
M'Dowall, James, Esq., 225
M'Dowall, Colonel Robert, 226
M'Dowall, Mr. William, 226
M'Dowall, Mr. Charles, 226
M'Dowall, Williani, Esq., 312
M'Dowall, Miss Elizabeth, 312
M'Dowall, William, Esq., o
M'Domall, Miss Graham, 396
M'Farquhar, Mr., 210
M'Grugar, Mr., 15
M'Eay, Hon. Miss, 173
M'Eenzie, Mrs., 183
M'Kenzie, Murray Kenneth, 295
M'Kenzie, Mr. Henry, 302, 303
M'Lauchlan, Rev. James, 154
M'Lean, Mr., of Ardgower, 196
M'Lean, Mr. William, 300
M'Lehose, Mrs., the Clarinda oj
M'Leod, -, Esq., of Drimnin, 96
M'Phail, Miles, 205
M'Queen, John, Esq., 167
M'Queen, Lord Justice-clerk,
M'Queen, Robert Dundas, 170
M'Queen, Miss Mary, 170
M'Queen, Miss Catherine, 170
M'Ritchie, John, Esq., 359
Garthland, 396
29 6
Burns, 304
307, 350, 351, 392
N
NAIRN, Lord, 420
Nairne, Sir William, Bart., 217
Nairne, Mr., Alexander, 217
Nairne, Catherine, 218, 219
Napier, William sixth Lord, 302
Napier, Lady Marion Shaw, 302
Napier, Francis Lord, 196, 211,
409, 423
Napier, Professor, 210
Napier, John, of Merchiston, 286
Napier, Captain Charles, R.N.
Neil, Mr. John, 241
Newton, Lord, 169, 209,261,39
Nicol, Mrs., 152
Nicol, Andrew, 427
Nicholai, the celebrated Germa
bookseller, 173
Bicholson, Sir William, 234
Nicholson, Miss Christian, 224
Nisbet, William, Esq., of Dirk
Nisbet, Miss Wilhelmina, 212
Nisbet, Rev. Mr., 93
Nisbet, Miss Mary, 93
Nisbet, Rev. Dr., 94
Nisbet, Lord, 364
Nivernois, Duc de, 70
North, Lord, the caddy, 96
North, Lord, 100, 119
Northesk, Earl of, 197, 283
Norton, Lieutenant, 410
Nutter, Robert, Esq., 192
404
409
ton, 2, 82, 212, 234
0
~CHILTREE, Edie, 189
3gilvie, Thomas, Esq., 218
3gilvie, Lieut. Patrick, 219
Igilvie, Sir William, Bart., 279
Igilvie, Mr. George, 303
)@vie, Captain, 309
Igilvie, Lady, 420
l0dvy, James, of Auchiries, 252
I'Hara, General, 235
)Idbuck, Jonathan, 417
YNeilI, John, 278
)range, Prince of, 107, 298
I d , Lord Chief Baron, 170, 191
hd, Miss Elizabeth, 170
Mow, Count, 104
hock, Robert, 353
Isborne, Alexander, Esq., 344
hwald, James, Esq., 299
Iswald, Mrs., 206
Iughton, Sir Adolphus, 295
P
'AGAN, William, 141
'aganini, Signior, 293
'almer, Mr., 147, 149
'almer, Rev. Thomas Fyshe, 168,
307, 309, 427
'almer, Miss, 399
Panmure, Lord, 402, 403
Paoli, General, 184
Paterson, Mr. Alexander, 261
Paton, Mr. Hngh, 193
Paton, Mr. John, 244
Paton, Mr. George, 288
Patoun, John, Esq., 312
Patoun, Miss Elizabeth, 312
Pattison, Mr. William, 300
Paul, Robert, Esq., 415
Paul, Rev. John, 415
Paul, Williani, Esq., 415
Paul, Henry, Esq., 415
Peddie, Rev. Dr. Jarnes, 300,
Peebles, Peter, 427
Peel, Sir Robert, 351
Pembroke, Lord, 71
Pennant, Thomas, 245
Penney, Williani, Esq., 373
Percy, Thomas, D.D., 245, 288
Perth, Duke of, 420
Peter, Mr. Alexander, 224
Phin, Mr. Charles, 237
Phipp, Colonel, 91
Pickering, Miss Mary, 31
Pinkerton, hIr. John, 247
Pitcairn, David, Esq., 93
Pitcairn, Miss Eleanor, 93
Pitcairn, Mr. John, 300
Pitcairn, Mr. Alexander, 300
Pitsligo, Lord, 180, 251,252, 253,
420
Pitt, Hon. William, 74, 101, 183,
222, 285, 308, 380, 381
Playfair, Professor, 56, 79
Plenderleith, Rev. Mr., 282
Poland, King of, 328, 329
Polkemrnet, Lord, 298
Pollock, Mr., 16
Portland, Duke of, 381
Portland, Duchess of, 390
'ortmore, Lord, 191
'orteous, Captain, 19
'otter, Sir John, 260
'otter, Bishop, 275
'ratt, Samuel Jackson, 122
'riestley, Dr., 340
'ringle, Sir John, F.R.S., 21, 81,
'ringle, Sir James, 81
'ringle, Mr. John, 237
'ringle, Mr. Dunbar, 261
'ringle, Mr. Sheriff, 806, 375
'ringle, Mark, Esq., 317, 319
'rovence, Count de, 215
334
249 ... INDEX TO THE NAMES, ETC. Murray, Amelia Jane, 244 Murray, Mr., 326 Murray, Sir Patrick, 575 Murray, Lord ...

Book 8  p. 615
(Score 1.84)

......

Book 9  p. 311
(Score 1.6)

312 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
the source of much wealth; and, by his judicious management, he otherwise
greatly enhanced the value of his estate.
Sir Archibald took an active hand in superintending his numerous colliers
and salters. They were a rough, uncultivated set of people; and, like most
workmen in similar emplogments, not very deeply impressed with proper
notions of subordination. He had his own system of management, however ;
and, although not strictly in accordance with the principles of constitutional
government, it proved not less efficacious than it was summary in its application.
He required no sheriff or justice courts to settle matters of dispute. Armed
with his jockey-whip, Sir Archibald united in his own person all the functionaries
of justice ; and, wherever his presence was required, he was instantly on the
spot. On several occasions, when, by the example and advice of neighbouring
works, his men were in mutiny, he has been known to go down to the pits, and,
with whip in hand, lay about him, right and left, until order was restored.
The work would then go on as formerly-the men as cheerful and compliant as
if nothing untoward had occurred. Upon the whole, his people were happy and
contented; and although the means which he took to enforce obedience were
somewhat arbitrary, his subjects felt little inclination to object to them.
Although much of his time was thus devoted to his own affairs, public
matters of local interest received a due share of his attention; and on every
occasion of a patriotic or charitable nature he stepped nobly forward with his
counsel and assistance.
Sir Archibald resided chiefly at Pinkie House,' where he maintained the
genuine hospitality of the olden times, and kept such an establishment of
" neighing steeds " and " deep-mouthed hounds " as at once declared the owner
to be, in sentiment, one of those doughty "squires of old" whose masculine
ideas of enjoyment were widely at variance with the effeminacy attributed to
the luxurious landholders of more modern times.
As might be anticipated from his character, Sir Archibald was a member of
the Caledonian Hunt-a body of Scottish gentlemen well known to be somewhat
exclusive in the admission of members. Of this honourable club he held the
high distinction of President in 1789, at which period the etching of the
" Knight of the Turf " was executed.
Sir Archibald married, in 1758, Elizabeth, daughter of William M'Dowall,
Esq. of Castle Semple, by whom he had two sons and five daughters. On the
death of this lady in 1778, he married (the year following) Elizabeth, daughter
of John Patoun, Esq.-a gentleman whose name was originally Paton; but
who, having gone abroad in his youth, and amassed a large fortune, on his return
to his native country changed the spelling of it to Patmr The issue of this
second marriage were three sons and one daughter.
In former times the seat of the Earls of Dnnfermline-a branch of the Setons, who had large
possessions in the east country, which were forfeited by the attainder of the last Earl of Wintonthe
chief of the family-for his accession to the Rebellion in 1715. ... BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. the source of much wealth; and, by his judicious management, he otherwise greatly ...

Book 8  p. 437
(Score 1.52)

......

Book 8  p. 605
(Score 1.52)

  Next Page More Results

  Back Go back to Edinburgh Bookshelf

Creative Commons License The scans of Edinburgh Bookshelf are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.