Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Bookshelf

Search

Index for “big sam ”

......

Book 9  p. 257
(Score 6.65)

......

Book 8  p. 71
(Score 4.5)

......

Book 9  p. 254
(Score 3.75)

......

Book 8  p. 68
(Score 3.11)

......

Book 11  p. xvi
(Score 2.42)

......

Book 10  p. 382
(Score 2.19)

......

Book 10  p. 91
(Score 2.18)

28 EDINBURGH PAST AND PRESENT.
Thomson, and so are the various journals and encyclopedias under the
eye of the indefatigable Sir David Brewster and of Professor Jamieson,
and the 3hmzaZ uf Ph~enologye dited by George Combe. In this list there
are no doubt many omissions, but the above is, we hope, a fair enough
general estimate of Edinburgh celebrities duri,ng the period referred to.
Artists, sculptors, and architects are so numerous that we can only mention
a very few, (among the past) such as Sir David Wilkie, the Hogarth of Scotland
(whose first studio was in Paul Street, in the near building on the
left of the Engraving), the bold and picturesque Raebum, Thomson of
Duddingston, in the sublime style, the Grand Monarque of Scottish painting ;
Sir William Allan, Sir John Watson Gordon, David Scott with his Dantesque
imagination and sombre grandeur ; David Roberts, Horatio Macculloch,
D. 0. Hill, Sir George Harvey, Adam, Playfair, Bryce, Handyside Ritchie,
and M'CaIlum; (and among the present) Sir J. Noel Paton with his
boundless fancy and delicate finish ; Sir Daniel Macnee, Herdman, Drummond,
Waller H. Paton, Hugh Cameron, G. Paul Chalmers, Smart, and the
bold inimitable Sam Bough ; Anderson, Morham, Matheson ; Sir John Steell,
Brodie, Mrs. D. 0. Hill, Hutchison, and David Stevenson. We name these
as specimens-there are others besides of equal ox nearIy equal genius.
. . . . .
I
COLLEGE QUADRANGLE.
Returning from this excursus we find ourselves again at the College.
Changed it is from the days when we could pass over from tracing Sir John
Leslie in ltis giant leaps from system to system of the stellar universe, to
the class where Wilson was painting scenery with the 'potent dash of a
Salvatok Rosa, and analysing the human heart and its intricacies of passion ... EDINBURGH PAST AND PRESENT. Thomson, and so are the various journals and encyclopedias under the eye of the ...

Book 11  p. 46
(Score 1.97)

singular groups of huge, irregular, and diversified
tenements that could well be conceived. Here a
stunted little timber dwelling black with age, and ~
beyond it a pile of masonry, rising, storey above
storey, from some murky propound that left its
chimneys, scarcely rivalling those of its dwarfish
MAHOGANY LAND-
(Fmm a Mrafured Drawing & T. Hnmihn, #dIiskcd in 1830.)
case of his is thus reported by Lord Fountainhall,
under date July 6th, 1709 :-
?? Duncan Campbell, of Ashfield, giving himself
out to be the best lithotomist and cutter for the
stone, pursues Mungo Campbell, of Netherplace,
that he being under the insupportable agony of the
neighbours, after climbing thus far from their foundations
in the depths below.?
The Edinburgh Gazeffe for July, 1702, informed
the public that Duncan Campbell, of Ashfield,
chirurgeon to the city of Glasgow, was receiving
patients in his lodging at the foot of the West Bow,
and that he was great in operations for stone,
having ?cutted nine score persons without the
death of any, except five?; and one astounding
I gravel, and was kept down in his bed by two ser- ? vants, sent for the said Duncan to cure him, who
leaving the great employment he had, waited on
him for several weeks ; and by an emaciating diet,
fitted him for the operation, then cut him and
brought away a big stone of five ounces? weight, and
since that time he has ehjoyed better health, for
which extraordinary cure all he got in hand was
seventeen guineas ; whereas, by his attendance ... groups of huge, irregular, and diversified tenements that could well be conceived. Here a stunted little ...

Book 2  p. 320
(Score 1.94)

Cpormgate.1 SIR THOMAS DALYELL. I9
Often did her maid go with morning messages to her
friends, inquiring, with her, compliyents, after their
per cats. Good Miss Ramsay was also a friend
to horses, and indeed to all creatures. When she
observed a carter ill-treating his horse she would
march up to him, tax him with cruelty, and by the
very earnestness of her remonstrances arrest the
barbarian?s hand. So, also, when she saw one
labouring in the street with the appearance of
defective diet, she would send rolls to its master,
entreating him to feed theanimal. These peculiarities,
though a little eccentric, are not unpleasing;
and I cannot be sony to record those of the
daughter of one whose head and heart were an
honour to his country.? .
The hideous chapel of ease built in New Street
in 1794 occupied the site of the houses of Henry
Kinloch and the Earls of Angus, the latter of which
formed during the eighteenth century the banking
office of the unfortunate firm of Douglas, Heron,
and Co., whose failure spread ruin and dismay
far and wide in Scotland.
Little Jack?s Close, a narrow alley leading by a
bend into New Street, and Big Jack?s Close, which
led to an open court, adjoin the thoroughfare of
1760, and both are doubtless named from some
forgotten citizen or speculative builder of other
days.
In the former stood the hall of the once wealthy
corporation of the Cordiners or Shoemakers of the
Canongate, on the west side, adorned with all
the insignia of the craft, and furnished for their
convivalia with huge tables and chairs of oak, in
addition to a carved throne, surmounted by a
crowned paring-knife, and dated I 682, for the
solemn inauguration of King Crispin on St. Crispin?s
Day, the 25th of October.
This corporation can be traced back to the 10th
of June, 1574, when William Quhite was elected
Deakon of the Cordiners in the Canongate, in
place of the late Andrew Purvis.
It was of old their yearly custom to elect a
king, who held his court in this Corporation Hall,
from whence, after coronation, he was borne in
procession through the streets, attended by his
subject souters clad in fantastic habiliments. Latterly
he was conducted abroad on a finelycaparisoned
horse, and clad in ermined robes,
attended by mock officers of state and preceded
-
1s Geordie Cranstoun, who figures twice in Kay?s
memarkable portraits.
In Big Jack?s Close there was extant, until
within a few years ago, the town mansion of
Seneral Sir Thomas Dalyell of Binns, commanderm-
chief of the Scottish forces, whose beard remained
mcut after the death of Charles I., and who raised
the Scots Greys on the 25th of November, 1681,
ind clad them first in grey uniform, and at their
head served as a merciless persecutor of the outlawed
Covenanters, with a zest born of his service
in Russia. The chief apartment in this house
has been described as a large hall, with an arched
or coach root adorned, says Wilson, with a painting
of the sun in the centre, surrounded by gilded rays
on an azure dome. Sky, clouds, and silver stars
filled up the remaining space. The large windows
were partially closed with oak shutters in the old
Scottish fashion. ? The kitchen also was worthy OF
notice, for a fireplace formed of a plain circular
wch, of such unusual dimensions that popular
credulity might have assigned it for the perpetration
of those rites it had ascribed to him of spitting
and roasting his miserable captives! . . . . .
A chapel formerly stood on the site of the open
court, but all. traces of it were removed in 1779.
It is not at all inconsistent with the character of
the fierce old Cavalier that he should have erected
a private chapel for his own use.?
It was to this house in Big Jack?s Close that
the Rev. John Blackadder was brought a prisoner
in 1681, guarded by soldiers under Johnstone, the
town major, and accompanied by his son Thomas,
who died a merchant in New England, and where
that interview took place which is related in
? Blackadder?s Memories,? by D. A. Crichton :-
? I have brought you a prisoner,? said Major-
Johnstone.
?Take him to the guard,? said Dalyell, who was
about to walk forth.
On this, the poor divine, whose emotions must
have been far from enviable in such a terrible presence,
said, timidly, ? May I speak with you a little,
sir ? ? ?? You have already spoken too much, sir,? replied
Dalyell, whose blood always boiled at the sight of a
Covenanter, ?and I should hang you with my own
hands over that outshot ! ?
On this, Major Johnstone, dreading what might ... SIR THOMAS DALYELL. I9 Often did her maid go with morning messages to her friends, inquiring, with ...

Book 3  p. 18
(Score 1.91)

156 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. . [Queen Street,
always washed and carefully put away by her own
delicate hands, and thus breakage was evaded.
Marketing was then done in the early morning;
and many a time was the stately figure of old Mrs.
Wilson, ? in her elegantly-fitting black satin dress,
Seen to pass to and fro from the old market place
of Edinburgh, followed by some favourite caddie
peace and harmony reigned supreme, and there are
now not a few of her grandchildren who remember
this fine old Scottish matron with affection and
gratitude.
In 1815 John Wilson had been called to the bar,
at the same time with his firm friend Patrick Robertson,
Sir William Hamilton, Andrew Rutherford,
SIR JAMES WUNG SIMPSON.
(or street porter), bearing the well-chosen meats and
vegetables that no skill but her own was permitted
to, select?
She was a high Tory of the old school ; and it is
told of her that on hearing it said that her, son
was contributing to the Edinburgh Revim, she
exclaimed, ?John, if you turn Whig this house is
no longer big enough for us both ! ??
In No. 53 she had under her roof for several
years two married sons, with their wives, children,
.
Archibald Alison, and others ; and in 1819, he, with
his wife and children, then five in number, removed
from his mother?s house in Queen Street to No. 20
Anne Street, Stockbridge. It was in No. 53, however,
that the famous ? Chaldee Manuscript ? was
written, amid such shouts of laughter, says Mrs.
Gordon, ? that the ladies in the room above, sent
to inquire in wonder what the gentlemen below
were about. I am informed that among those who
were met together on that memorable occasion ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. . [Queen Street, always washed and carefully put away by her own delicate hands, and ...

Book 3  p. 156
(Score 1.85)

......

Book 9  p. 472
(Score 1.78)

......

Book 10  p. 304
(Score 1.74)

504 INDEX TO THE NAMES, ETC.
Wheeler, Ann, 361
Whitbread, Mr. 247
White, Mr., 193
White, Henry Kirk, 299
White, Hbughton, 359, 360
White, Mrs. Houghton, 363
Whitefield, Rev. Mr., 41, 86
Whitefoord, Caleb, Esq., 60
Whitefoord, AIiss Maria, 59
Whytock, Rev. Mr., 245
Wiggan, Miss, 433
Wilberforce, William, Esq., 317
Wilde, Mr. John, 462
Wilkes, John, 392
Wilkes, Miss, 392
William IV., 214, 233
Williams, Sam, 354
Williarnson, John, 29
Williamson, Barbra, 29
Williamson, Mr. David, 122
Williamson, Mr. Janies, 122
Williamson, Kirkpatrick, Esq.,
135, 137
Williamson, Mr. George, 168
Williamson, Misses, 202
Willison, David, printer, 475
Willock, Captain George, 305,306
Wilson, Rev. Dr., 109
Wilson, Thomas, 202, 345
Wilson, Rev. David, 279
Wilson, Provost, 328
Wilson, Rev. Dr., Hebrew professor,
St. Andrews, 392
Wilson, Nr. John, 403, 407
Wilson, John, 408
Wilson, Mr, W. S., 445
Wilson, Professor, 457
Wilson, Robert Sym, Esq., 457
Wilson, James, 457
Winchilsea, Lord, 301
Witherspoon, Dr., 83
Woffington, Mrs., 205
Wood, Rev. James, 161
Wood, George, Esq., 193
Wood, Miss Apes, 193
Woodhead, Yr. Anthony, 1
Woods, Mr., actor, 204, 236, 260
Wordsworth, William, Esq., 338,
Wraxall, Sir William, 257
Wright, Miss, 284
Wynne, Lady Watkins William,
Wynyard, General, 295
Y
YATES,M r., 177
Yates, Mrs., 204-206
York, Duke of, 22, 24, 189, 272,
York, Duchess of, 208
Young, Miss Apes, 50
Young, Dr., 260 ,
Young, Mr. Robert, 403, 408
Younger, Mr. Archibald, 4
Yule, Dr. 81
Z
Z ~ Ith,e Persian poet and moral-
Zeithen, General, 259
391
469
349, 392, 446
ist, 302 ... INDEX TO THE NAMES, ETC. Wheeler, Ann, 361 Whitbread, Mr. 247 White, Mr., 193 White, Henry Kirk, ...

Book 9  p. 695
(Score 1.71)

68 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [The Water of Leith.
up against the dark green of the stately trees
around and behind it. In this institution above
ninety boys and girls are maintained, and its
benefits are not confined to any district of Scotland.
When admitted, they must be of the age of
seven, and not above ten years. They are taught
:reading, writing, arithmetic, and geography. The
hospital has been maintained almost solely from
&e charity of the public.
pleasure-grounds of the old Dean House, and was
formed in 1845. It is principally disposed on
the steep and finely-wooded bank of the Water of
Leith, and underwent great extension and some new
embellishment in 1872. It contains the ashes
of many distinguished Scotsmen, including Lords
Cockburn, Jeffrey, Murray, and Rutherford, Professor
Wilson, and near him his son-in-law, William
Here are the graves of 1 Edmonstoun Aytoun.
WATSON?S, ORPHANS?, AND STEWART?S HOSPITALS, FROM DRUMSHEUGH GROUNDS, 1859.
(After a Drawing 6y Georgc Simron.)
Near it, and north-westward of Bell?s Mills,
-stands John Watson?s Hospital, built in I 825-8,
irom a very plain design by Williani Burn. It is
a spacious edifice, with a Donc portico, and maintains
and educates about 120 children. This
charity takes its rise from the funds of John Watson,
W.S., who, in the year 1759, conveyed his
whole property to trustees, Lord Milton and Mr.
Mackenzie of Delvin, W.S., who managed their
trust so well that, though in 1781 it only amounted
to A4,721 5s. 6d., by 1823 it exceeded &go,ooo.
It is built on ground which belonged of old to the
estate of Dean.
The Dean Cemetery, the most beautiful of the
.cemeteries of Edinburgh, occupies the site and
Edward Forbes the naturalist, Goodsir the anatomist,
Allan, Scott, and Sam Bough, the painters,
Playfair the architect and the sculptor, and William
Brodie, RSA.
In a corner near the east gate is buried George
Combe, the eminent phrenologist, author of the
?? Constitution of Man,? who died in Surrey in 1858 ;
and under a stately memorial of red Yeterhead
granite, thirty-six feet in height, lies Alexander
Russel, editor of The Scotsntnn.
In the centre of the ground stands a tall obelisk,
erected to the memory of the soldiers of the
Cameron Highlanders ; and not far from it, a tomb,
inscribed with all his battles, marks the grave of
Major Thomas Canch, whose valour at the assault ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [The Water of Leith. up against the dark green of the stately trees around and behind ...

Book 5  p. 68
(Score 1.68)

228 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Leith
for many generations an ancient and lofty signaltower,
the summit of which was furnished with
little port-holes, like the loops designed for arrows
or musketry in our old Scottish fortalices, but which
were constructed here for the more peaceable purpose
of watching the merchant ships of the port
as they bore up the Firth of Forth or came to
anchor off the Mussel Cape.
An unusually bold piece of sculpture, in a deep
square panel, was above the archway that led
into the courtyard behind. It was afterwards
placed over the arched entrance leading from the
Tolbooth Wynd to St. Andrew?s Street, and, as
shown by Robertson, bears the date 1678, with
the initials G. R., with two porters carrying a
barrel slung between them, a ship with a lee-board
and the Scottish ensign, an edifice resembling a
mill or two-storeyed granary, and above it a representation
of a curious specimen of mechanical
ingenuity.
The latter consists of a crane, the entire machinery
of which ?was comprised in one large drum or
broad wheel, made to revolve, like the wire cylinder
of a squirrel?s cage, by a poor labourer, who occupied
the quadruped?s place, and clambered up
Sisyphus-like in his endless treadmill. The perspective,
with the grouping and proportions of the
whole composition, formed altogether an amusing
and curious sample of both the mechanical and the
fine arts of the seventeenth century.?
A local writer in 1865 asserts-we know not
upon what authority-that it is the tablet of the
Association of Porters; and adds, that ?had the
man in the wheel missed a step when hoisting up
any heavy article, he must have been sent whirling
round at a speed in nowise tending to his personal
comfort.? Robertson also writes of it as ?The
tablet of the Association of Porters, over the entrance
to the old Sugar House Close.??
About the middle of the wynd, on the south side,
stood the edifice used, until 1812, as the Customhouse
of Leith. It was somewhat quadrangular,
with a general frontage of about a hundred feet,
with a depth of ninety.
Riddle?s Close separated it from the old Tolbooth
and Town Hall, on the same side of the wynd.
It was built in 1565 by the citizens of Leith, though
not without strenuous opposition by their jealous
feudal over-lords the community of Edinburgh, and
was a singularly picturesque example of the old
Tolbooth of a Scottish burgh.
Anxious to please her people in Leith Queen
Mary wrote several letters to the Town Council of
Edinburgh, hoping to soothe the uncompromising
hostility of that body to the measure; and at length
the required effect was produced by the following
epistle, which we have somewhat divested of its
obsolete orthography :-
?? To the Provost, Bailies, and Counsale of Edinburgh
:-
?Forasmeikle as we have sent our requisite
sundry times to you, to permit the inhabitants of
our town of Leith to big and edifie ane hous of
justice within the samyn, and has received no
answer from you, and so the work is steyit and
cessit in your default.
?t Wherefore we charge you, that ye permit our
said town of Leith to big and editie ane said hous
of justice within our said town of Leith, and make
no stop or impediment to them to do the samyn;
for it is our will that the samyn be biggit, and that
ye desist from further molesting them in time
coming, as we will answer to as thereupon.
? Subscribit with our hand at Holyrood House,
the 1st day of March, this year of God 1563.
? MARIE R.?
This mandate had the desired effect, and in two
years the building was completed, as an ornamental
tablet, with the Scottish arms boldly sculptured,
the inscription, and date, ?IN DEFENS, M. R.,
1565,? long informed the passer-by.
This edifice, which measured, as Kincaid states,
sixty feet by forty over the walls, had a large
archway in the centre, above which were two
windows of great. height, elaborately grated. On
the west of it, an outside stair gave access to the
first floor ; on, the east there projected a corbelled
oriel, or turret; lighted by eight windows, all grated.
Three elaborate string mouldings traversed the
polished ashlar.fronr of the building, which nvas surmounted
by an embrasured battlement, and in
one part by a crowstepped gable.
Few prisoners of much note have been incarcerated
here, as its tenants were generally persons
who had been guilty of minor crimes. Perhaps
the most celebrated prisoner it ever contained was
the Scottish Machiavel, ?Maitland of Lethington,
who had fallen into the merciless hands of the
Regent Morton after the capitulation of Edinburgh
Castle in I 5 7 3, and who died, as it was said, ?? in
the d d Roman fashion,? by taking poison to
escape a public execution.
This was on the 9th of July, as Calderwood records,
adding that he lay so long unburied, ?that
the vermin came from his corpse, creeping out
under the door where he died.?
Such an occurrence, it has been remarked, said
little for the sanitary arrangements of the Leith
Tolbooth, and it is to be hoped that it had few
other prisoners on that occasion.
, ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Leith for many generations an ancient and lofty signaltower, the summit of which was ...

Book 6  p. 228
(Score 1.47)

......

Book 10  p. 29
(Score 1.37)

......

Book 9  p. 417
(Score 1.36)

......

Book 11  p. 140
(Score 1.34)

......

Book 11  p. 187
(Score 1.3)

Hogg was born on a farm near Ettrick Forest in Selkirk and baptized there on December 9. He had little education, and became a shepherd, living in grinding poverty hence his nickname, The Ettrick Shepherd. His employer, James Laidlaw of Blackhouse, seeing how hard he was working to improve himself, offered to help by making books available. Hogg used these to essentially teach himself to read and write (something he had achieved by the age of 14). In 1796 Robert Burns died, and Hogg, who had only just come to hear of him, was devastated by the loss. He struggled to produce poetry of his own, and Laidlaw introduced him to Sir Walter Scott, who asked him to help with a publication entitled The Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border. In 1801, Hogg visited Edinburgh for the first time. His own collection, The Mountain Bard, was published in 1807 and became a best-seller, allowing him to buy a farm of his own. Having made his name, he started a literary magazine, The Spy, and his epic story-poem, The Queen's Wake (the setting being the return to Scotland of Queen Mary (1561) after her exile in France), was published in 1813 and was another big success. William Blackwood recruited him for the Edinburgh Magazine, and he was introduced to William Wordsworth and several other well-known literary figures. He was given a farm by the Duke of Buccleuch, and settled down there for the rest of his life.

Hogg had already made his reputation as a prose writer with a practical treatise on sheep's diseases; and in 1824 his novel, The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, was another major success. He became better known than his hero, Burns, had ever been.

Today, Hogg's poetry and essays are not as widely read as in his contemporary era. However "Justified Sinner" remains important and is now seen as one of the major Scottish novels of its time, and absolutely crucial in terms of exploring one of the key themes of Scottish culture and identity: Calvinism. In a 2006 interview with Melvyn Bragg for ITV1, Scottish novelist Irvine Welsh cited Hogg, especially "Justified Sinner" as a major influence on his writing.


[edit] Other works
The Forest Minstrel (1810) (poetry) 
The Pilgrims of the Sun (1815) (poetry) 
Brownie of Bodsbeck (1817) (novel) 
Jacobite Reliques (1819) (collection of Jacobite protest songs) 
The Three Perils of Man (1822) (novel) 
The Three Perils of Woman (1923) (novel) 
Queen Hynde (1925)) (poetry) 
Songs by the Ettrick Shephard (1831) (songs/poetry) 
The Brownie of the Black Haggs (1828) (short story/tale) 
The Domestic Manner and Private Life of Sir Walter Scott (1834) ("unauthorised" biography) 
Tales and Sketches of the Ettrick Shepherd (1837)[1] 

[edit] Footnotes
^ Bibliographic information from:Bleiler ... was born on a farm near Ettrick Forest in Selkirk and baptized there on December 9. He had little education, ...

Book 1  p. ix
(Score 1.27)

......

Book 9  p. 574
(Score 1.24)

66
About this time a strange story went abroad
concerning the spectre of Dundee ; the terrible
yet handsome Claverhouse, in his flowing wig and
glittering breastplate, appearing to bis friend the
Earl of Balcarres, then a prisoner in the Castle, and
awaiting tidings of the first battle with keen anxiety.
.\bout daybreak on the morning when Killiecrankie
was fought and lost by the Williamites, the
spectre of Dundee is said to have come to Bal-
OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH.
?After this??(says C. K. Sharpe, in a note to
? Law?s Memorials I), ? it moved towards the
mantelpiece, remained there for a short time in a
leaning posture, and thed walked out of the
? chamber without uttering one word. Lord Balcarres,
in great surprise, though not suspecting that what
he saw WAS an. apparition, called out ?repeatedly on
his friend to stop, but received no answer, and
subsequently learned that at the very moment the
[Edinburgh Castle.?
CHAPTER vIr.
EDINBURGH CASTLE ( G O Z C ~ ~ ~ ) .
The Torture of Neville Payne-Jacobite Plots-Entombing the Regalia-Project for Surprising the Foitress-Right of Sanctuary Abolished-
Lord Drummond?s Plot-Some Jacobite Prisoners-? Rebel Ladies?-James Macgregor-The Castle Vaults-Attempts nt Escape-Fears
as to the Destruction of the Crown, Sword, and Sceptre-Crown-room opened in ~;rg+-Again in 7817, and the Regalia brought forth-Mons
Meg-General Description of the whole Castle.
AMONG the many unfortunates who have pined as
prisoners of state in the Castle, few suffered more
than Henry Neville Payne, an English gentleman,
who was accused of being a Jacobite conspirator.
About the time of the battle of the Boyne, when
the Earl of Annandale, Lord ROSS, Sir Robert
hlontgomerie of Skelmorlie, Robert Fergusson
? the plotter,? and others, were forming a scheme
in Scotland for the restoration of King James,
Payne had been sent there in connection with
it, but was discovered in Dumfriesshire, seized,
and sent to Edinburgh. Lockhart, the Solicitor-
General for Scotland, who happened to be in
London, coolly wrote to the Earl of Melville,
Secretary of State at Edinburgh, saying, ? that there
was no doubt that he (Payne) knew as much as
would hang a thousand; but except you put him
to the torture, he will shame you all. Pray you, put
him in such hands as will have no pity on him!?*
The Council, however, had anticipated these
amiable instructions, and Payne had borne torture
to extremity, by boot and thumbscrews, without
confessing anything. On the loth of December,
under express instruction signed by King William,
and countersigned by Lord Melville, the process
was to be repeated; and this was done in the
presence of the Earl of Crawford, ?with all the
seventy,? he reported, ? that was consistent with
humanity, even unto that pitch that we could not
preserve life and have gone further, but without the
least success. He was so manly and resolute under
his sufferings that such of the Council as were not
Melville?s Coiiespondence.
acquainted with the evidence, were brangled, and
began to give him charity that he might be innocent.
It was surprising that flesh and blood could, without
fainting, endure the heavy penance he was in for
two hours.? This unfortunate Englishman, in his
maimed and shattered condition, was now thrown
into a vault of the Castle, where none had access
to him save a doctor. Again and again it was represented
to the ?I humane and pious King William?
that to keep Payne in prison Id without trial was contrary
to law;? but notwithstanding repeated petitions
for trial and mercy, in defiance of the Bill of
Rights, William allowed him to languish from year
to year for ten years ; until, on the 4th of February,
1701, he was liberated, in broken health, poverty,
and premature old age, without the security for
reappearance, which was customary in such cases.
Many plots were formed by the Jacobites-one
about 1695, by Fraser of Beaufort (the future
Lovat), and another in 1703, to surprise the
Castle, as being deemed the key to the whole
kingdom-but without success ; and soon after the
Union, in 1707, its walls witnessed that which was
deemed ?I the last act of that national tragedy,? the
entombing of thz regalia, which, by the Treaty,
? are never more to be used, but kept constantly
in the Castle of Edinburgh.?
In presence of Colonel Stuart, the constable ; Sir
James Mackenzie, Clerk of the Treasury ; William
Wilson, Deputy-Clerk of Session-the crown,
sceptre, sword of state, and Treasurer?s rod, were
solemnly deposited in their usual receptacle, the
crown-room, on the 26th of March. ?Animated
by the sam- glow of patriotism that fired the ... this time a strange story went abroad concerning the spectre of Dundee ; the terrible yet handsome ...

Book 1  p. 66
(Score 1.16)

338 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Roxburgh Place.
sion, belonging to the Lords Ross and to the age
of stately ceremony and stately manners, occupied
till the middle of the eighteenth century the site
occupied the same apartment as that in which
resided, till the year before his death, in 1785,
Alexander Kunciman, one of the most eminent
Scottish artists of his day, and where, no doubt, he
must have entertained the poet Robert Fergusson,
?? while with ominous fitness he sat as his model
for the Prodigal Son.?
Nicolson Street church, erected in 1819-20, at
a cwt of x6,000, has a handsome Gothic front,
with two turreted pinnacles ninety feet in height.
It is built upon the site of the old Antiburgher
Meeting-house, and is notable for the ministry of
Dr. John Jamieson, author of several theological
works, and of the well-known ? Etymological Dictionary
of the Scottish Language.? It was among
the first efforts at an improved style of church
architecture in Edinburgh, where, as elsewhere in
Scotland after the Keformation, the accommodation
of the different congregations in the homeliest
manner was all that was deemed necessary.
The pond sam parish called Lady Glenorchy?s
lies eastward of Nicolson Street, and therein quite
a cluster of little churches has been erected. The
parish church was built as a relief chapel in 1809,
by the Rev. Mr. Johnstone, and altered in 1814,
when it was seated for 990 persons. The Independent
congregation in Richmond Couk was
established in 1833 ; but their place of worship till
1840 was built about 1795 by the Baptists. The
Hebrew congregation was established in 1817, but
has never exceeded IOO souls. The Episcopal
congregation of St. Peter?s, Roxburgh Place, was
established in 1791, and its place of worship consisted
of the first and second flats of a five-storeyed
tenement, and was originally built, at the sole
expense of the clergyman, for about 420 persons.
To Roxburgh Place came, in 1859, the congregation
of Lady Glenorchy?s church, which had been
demolished by the operations of the North British
Railway. The Court of Session having found that
city. In those days the mansion, which was a
square block with wings, was approached by an
avenue through a plantation upwards of sixty yards
ROSS
this body must be kept in full communion with
the Established Church, authorised the purchase of
Roxburgh Place chapel in lieu of the old place of
worship, and trustees were appointed to conduct
their affairs.
The chapel handed over to them was that of
the Relief Communion just mentioned. Externally
it has no architectural pretensions ; but many may
remember it as the meeting-place of the ?Convocation
? which preceded the ever-memorable
secession in 1843, after which it remained closed
and uncared for till it came into the hands of the
Glenorchy trustees in 1859, in so dilapidated a condition
that their first duty was to repair it before
the congregation could use it.
The remains of the pious Lady Glenorchy, which
had been removed from the old church near the
North Bridge, were placed, in 1844, in the vaults
of St. John?s church ; but the trustees, wishing to
comply as far as was in their power with the
wishes of the foundress, that her remains should
rest in her own church, had a suitable vault built
in that at Roxburgh Place. It was paved and
covered with stone, set in Roman cement, and
formed on the right side of the pulpit.
Therein her body was laid on the evening of
Saturday, 31st December, 1859. The marble
tablet, which was carefully removed from the old
church, was placed over her grave, with an additional
inscription explaining the circumstance which
occasioned her new place of interment.
The portion of St. Cuthbert?s garish which was
disjoined and attached to Lady Glenorchy?s is
bounded by Nicolson Street and the Pleasance on
the west and east, by Drummond Street on the
north, and Richmond Street on the south, with an
average population of about 7,000 souls.
Roxburgh Terrace is built on what was anciently
called Thomson?s Park; and the place itself was
named the Back Row in the city plan of 1787.
CHAPTER XL.
GEORGE SQUARE AND THE VICINITY
How-The last Lord Ross-Earlier Residents in the Square-House of Walter Scott, W.S.-Sir Waltcr?s Boyhood-Bickas-Grcen
Breeks-The Edinburgh Light Horse-The Scots Brigad+Admiral Duncan--Lord Advocate Dundas-The Grants of Kilgrastonhmn
Dunda+Sedan Chak--Campbells of Snccoth-Music Class Room-The Eight Southern DistrictAhapel of Ease-Windmill
Street-Euccleuch Place-Jeffrey?s First House there-The Burgh Loch-Society of Impraven-The Meadow. ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Roxburgh Place. sion, belonging to the Lords Ross and to the age of stately ceremony ...

Book 4  p. 338
(Score 1.13)

  Next Page More Results

  Back Go back to Edinburgh Bookshelf

Creative Commons License The scans of Edinburgh Bookshelf are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.